Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Raspberry Kodi as TV backend (server) and Windows Kodi as TV frontend (client)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi 

I downloaded the latest Kodi yesterday and installed it on my Raspberry.  With a USB DVB-T TV tuner. Am using VDR as the backend service and VDR/VNSI as the front end.  It works well.

However on my Windows PC with Kodi I want to be able to access the Raspberry TV tuner service simply by also using the VDR/VNSI client - getting the source off the Raspberry. Is this not possible? 

I used to do this with TVHeadEnd but it does not seem to be available with Kodi 17. 

Anyone with any ideas?  (How do I access the log and paste it here?)

Thanks!
Sure, this is possible. Enter the name or IP address of the Raspberry Pi in the config of the vnsi client. Make sure that allowed_hosts.conf on the vnsiserver allows the client: https://github.com/FernetMenta/vdr-plugi...hosts.conf
(2017-12-05, 15:21)FernetMenta Wrote: [ -> ]Sure, this is possible. Enter the name or IP address of the Raspberry Pi in the config of the vnsi client. Make sure that allowed_hosts.conf on the vnsiserver allows the client: https://github.com/FernetMenta/vdr-plugi...hosts.conf
  I found 2 files on my Raspberry Pi

OpenELEC:~ # find / -name allowed_hosts.conf
/storage/.kodi/addons/service.multimedia.vdr-addon/config/plugins/vnsiserver/allowed_hosts.conf
/storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/service.multimedia.vdr-addon/config/plugins/vnsiserver/allowed_hosts.conf

And both look like this...

# allowed_hosts.conf  This file describes a number of host addresses that
#                     are allowed to connect to the streamdev server running
#                     with the Video Disk Recorder (VDR) on this system.
# Syntax:
#
# IP-Address[/Netmask]
#
127.0.0.1             # always accept localhost
192.168.0.0/24        # any host on the local net
#204.152.189.113      # a specific host
#0.0.0.0/0            # any host on any net (USE THIS WITH CARE!)

I'm trying to use the Raspberry Pi as the backend.  TV works well on it. It's on Kodi v17.

I am trying to access the backend via a Windows PC.  Kodi v17 on the PC gets stuck on PVR Manager Is Starting Up. (Both Kodi are the latest downloads and installs.)

Both devices are on the same 192.168.x.x network.

What can I check next?

Thanks!
192.168.what.x?

The restriction to 192.168.0.0/24 means it is restricted to addresses like 192.168.0.x, not 192.168.any_other_number.x
Yes, I understand.

The "back end" Raspberry Pi is on static IP setting of 192.168.5.201. 

The "front end" Windows PC is on a dynamic IP setting of (usually) 192.168.5.4 from an IP address range setting of x.x.x.2 to x.x.x.50 (I've restricted it). 

Both devices access the gateway 192.168.5.1 to get to the Internet with no issues. 

Any help I can get will be most appreciated.
As I say, you have restricted VDR to addresses in the 192.168.0.x range.

Change the line

Code:
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]192.168.0.0/24        # any host on the local net[/font]
to
Code:
[font=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]192.168.5.0/24        # any host on the local net[/font]
Sorry I don't seem to be able to get rid of that font shit. I hope you get the idea.
Sorry for not replying to your responses.  I was urgently called away and so dropped this project.

FYI I have since purchased two pieces of hardware.  A "Fetch TV" PVR https://www.fetchtv.com.au for my main lounge, and a HDHomeRun network TV tuner for other devices to access live TV and recorded TV. Live TV is okay but the interface from HDHomeRun is otherwise woeful, so I tend to use Kodi to view previously recorded programs off the Fetch TV device.

Thanks!
(2018-12-10, 03:35)skris88 Wrote: [ -> ]FYI I have since purchased two pieces of hardware.  A "Fetch TV" PVR https://www.fetchtv.com.au for my main lounge, and a HDHomeRun network TV tuner for other devices to access live TV and recorded TV. Live TV is okay but the interface from HDHomeRun is otherwise woeful, so I tend to use Kodi to view previously recorded programs off the Fetch TV device.

Thanks!

Hi skriss88, I was wondering how do you access the Fetch TV from Kodi?
The latest versions of Kodi disable UPnP, enable it first. Then the Fetch TV box will appear as a UPnP device that you can stream from.