Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi gets stuck "Working..." and I have to "sudo kill -9" with a keyboard to recover
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm a new Kodi user.  I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 desktop with the default Kodi package.  I have Kodi as an automatic login so the machine comes up in Kodi on its main screen.  I've imported a large number of movies and TV shows.  The scraper has mostly done an OK job, and I've been gradually fixing things up.

The problem is that Kodi will hang on "Working..." on random videos.  I can't tell in advance which ones.  There seems to be no way to break out of "Working..." using any of the controls.  In fact, the only way I've found to recover (short of power cycling the machine -- definitely not OK for this machine) is to attach a keyboard, use CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to the console, log in, and use "sudo kill -9" on the kodi.bin process.

Since it happens to random videos, this makes Kodi a bit unusable.

What do?

Thanks all.
First step would be to post a debug log
(2017-12-07, 19:23)lovemachine Wrote: [ -> ]First step would be to post a debug log

Quite right!  Unfortunately, those instructions don't work, because my addons repository does not show any "Kodi Logfile Uploader".  I did find a log in /home/kodi/./.kodi/temp/kodi.log which looks like it might be what's needed.  I've uploaded a log from a crashing session to https://pastebin.com/z6ryJH8Y

It looks like DVDPlayer is having a hard time dealing with a DVD with a Japanese filename.

In general, though, shouldn't there be a timeout or a way to cancel the "Waiting..." from the user interface?  Is there some way I'm not seeing?
NOTICE: Kodi from Debian compiled from 15.2+dfsg1-3ubuntu1.1

This build is unsupported here(and very old). Try with 17.6 from our stable PPA
(2017-12-08, 19:30)wsnipex Wrote: [ -> ]NOTICE: Kodi from Debian compiled from 15.2+dfsg1-3ubuntu1.1

This build is unsupported here(and very old). Try with 17.6 from our stable PPA
Ah! Seems like the Kodi in Ubuntu's default repos is out of date.  I'll give this a try and get back to you.
Oh wow.

Yes yes everything is much better, and that movie plays.

You must get this a lot. Thanks for your patient reply.
Best to never run the dist version and always install the kodi.tv version.