Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu 16.04 , nvidia 1030, ffmpeg, HEVC , CUDA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is not directly KODi question but I figure gurus here will know the answer Smile

I purchased Nvidia GT1030 thinking it will play UHD HEVC files.
It does under Windows (as expected ) but under Linux there is an issue with UHD HEVC 10bit (expected)
HEVC 8bit files plays under Ubuntu (and KODI) with hardware support (NVIDIA drivers)
HEVC 10bit files does not (due to NVIDIA linux driver lack of support)
So I start reading more and it came up that something called CUDA should give me hardware support for HEVC 10bit Smile
Following NVIDIA instructions I downloaded and compiled ffmpeg and CUDA (configure and make, no install)

Now I try to play HEVC 10bit demo file (UHD 200mbps from jellyfish samples website)
And as you can expect it does not work Smile
It plays but with lack of hardware support I guess.
Picture is stuttering and all 4 cores are at 100%
I do not own 4K TV yet (getting ready for it) and it looks like its not scaling down to size (1080) which i believe is ./ffplay option that I do not set.

I am not an expert so from command line I just type:
./ffplay "path to HEVC file"

Questions:
1) Am I assuming correctly that ffmpeg with CUDA compiled should support UHD HEVC 10 bit on Linux?
2) Is there a specific way I should invoke ./ffplay command with HEVC support?
3) Assuming this all works can I ask KODI to open external player to play those HEVC files?

Thx,
Mike

--
Ubuntu 16.04 , Geforce GT1030, NVIDIA driver 384.98, AMD FX 4170, cuda-repo-9.0.176, ffmpeg git clone (December 7th 2017)
The biggest setback for Linux and Nvidia, is that Nvidia's video drivers under Linux do NOT support 10bit video, only 8bit. Likely because of some weird corporate decision on their side. It is what it is. Future support of Nvidia cards under Linux is now uncertain anyway as Nvidia has stopped support for VDPAU. And right now, there is no dev willing to make CUVID suitable for Linux HTPC usage.

It's not the card, it's simply the drivers. The GT1030 can do up to 8K hevc 8bit in Linux with LibreELEC.
(2017-12-08, 22:31)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]The biggest setback for Linux and Nvidia, is that Nvidia's video drivers under Linux do NOT support 10bit video, only 8bit. Likely because of some weird corporate decision on their side. It is what it is. Future support of Nvidia cards under Linux is now uncertain anyway as Nvidia has stopped support for VDPAU. And right now, there is no dev willing to make CUVID suitable for Linux HTPC usage.

It's not the card, it's simply the drivers. The GT1030 can do up to 8K hevc 8bit in Linux with LibreELEC.
 So what is that all about?
https://developer.nvidia.com/ffmpeg
For now, Kodi 17 stable uses ffmpeg 3.1.
I'm not sure what Kodi 18 stable will end up with in ffmpeg usage.
(2017-12-08, 22:53)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]For now, Kodi 17 stable uses ffmpeg 3.1.
I'm not sure what Kodi 18 stable will end up with in ffmpeg usage.
 Question was aim towards compilation and usage of ffmpeg compiled with cuda Smile
I guess I should try ffmpeg forum.

thx
To answer my own question.
Looks like 

Code:
ffplay -vcodec hevc_cuvid "file name" 

did the trick Smile

UHD 4k 10bit file is playing OK.

UPDATE

Since ffplay is apparently not the way to do it use mpv instead. 

Now I need figure why there is no sound, scale the picture to 1080 and add external command to KODI Smile