Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DXVA Hevc question windows 7
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all.

So I recently upgraded to a 1050ti in my media center.  Windows 7 64 bit latest Kodi stable release.

4k 10 bit MKV files always played choppy and hitting "O" revealed to me that DXVA was inactive and my cpu was pegged at 100%

So I upgraded to the 1050ti.  PowerDVD now plays the 4k MKV files perfectly fine with my CPU usage at 3% now but Kodi still wont....

H264 files shows DXVA acceleration inside Kodi working fine.

Before I post a log and all that, does anyone know if Kodi just does not support 4K HEVC hardware 10bit hardware acceleration under windows 7?

THanks!
I think Win 8 or higher is required, you can use the DXVA Checker tool to confirm what is supported by your device on Win 7.
(2017-12-10, 11:32)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]I think Win 8 or higher is required, you can use the DXVA Checker tool to confirm what is supported by your device on Win 7.
 I ran DXVA checker and it says my 1050ti is fully compatible with 10 bit HEVC all the way up to 8K.  Just not sure why Kodi is not using my gpu.  I am thinking it is windows 7 related though.  That makes sense.  Anyone else get HEVC 10 bit working with hardware acceleration under windows 7?
(2017-12-10, 16:39)apachehaovk Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-12-10, 11:32)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]I think Win 8 or higher is required, you can use the DXVA Checker tool to confirm what is supported by your device on Win 7.
 I ran DXVA checker and it says my 1050ti is fully compatible with 10 bit HEVC all the way up to 8K.  Just not sure why Kodi is not using my gpu.  I am thinking it is windows 7 related though.  That makes sense.  Anyone else get HEVC 10 bit working with hardware acceleration under windows 7? 
I think you need to wait for the 64-bit version of Kodi which will allow Kodi to use your GPU. Maybe try a nightly to check?
ran into this same issue myself.  You need to upgrade to Win10 unfortunately to play H265 with Hardware encoding.  I was trying to stay on Win7 myself due to Win MCE but in order to play HEVC 4K titles, had to upgrade to Win10.  

Here is a link to my thread where I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.
(2017-12-10, 20:10)Usafle Wrote: [ -> ]ran into this same issue myself.  You need to upgrade to Win10 unfortunately to play H265 with Hardware encoding.  I was trying to stay on Win7 myself due to Win MCE but in order to play HEVC 4K titles, had to upgrade to Win10.  

Here is a link to my thread where I was trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.
YUP!!

That was it!

So upgraded to windows 10 and now Kodi uses the GPU for 10 bit 4k!!   CPU usage is around 6-12%.  MUCH better then the 100% and stuttering.  Thanks all!  Maybe they should put that in the wiki?

BONUS question.  The old GPU was a GT 640.  So a 6xx series Nvidia.  BUT, it was able to hardware decode 8bit HEVC 1080p.    HowHuh  Its not supported at all according to Nvidia?  I mean I already upgraded to the 1050ti so this is all just a curiosity!

Thanks everyone!
Hi,
Does anyone know if Kodi will support HW decoding of 4k HVEC in win 8.1?
My hardware (iGPU) doesn't have win10 drivers (which i'm using to get the AUDIO to the AVR)
And my GT1030 is connected directly to the 4k TV for video

So stuck with not using Win 10 due to driver support..
It was my belief the 4k HEVC hardware decode should already work with Win 8.1, are you saying it's not working? if it's not working can you provide a debug log_file (wiki) and I'll contact the responsible dev.