Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Retroplayer running very slowly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Retroplayer is really great. I would like to thank the deveopers for there hard work. I'm having I problem with the last two versions.
I'm using windows 10 and using retroplayer 64 bit. I used the october version and the games played at the proper speed but since I updated to the November or December versions the player plays very slowly. Did I miss something? I would appriciate anyones help. Thank you
Happens to me also on Windows. Its like its running at 1/2 speed.
Are you using the latest test release (March 2018)?

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=173361

This is from this year, not 2017.
Confirmed on windows 10, latest test build (4/3/2018): video is not full speed, audio is jerky and stuttering. This with all cores (except apparently Handy).
Could this be the issue...

@lrusak is working on RetroPlayer's renderer to support GPU-accelerated buffers. The goal is "zero-copy", which means that emulators render pixels directly to a GPU buffer. (Currently we have two-copy: emulators render to system memory on the game thread, we copy to another region of system memory on the rendering thread (copy 1), and finally upload to the GPU (copy 2)). This should drastically improve performance on lower-powered systems.

from this thread...
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...1&page=129
But they say that previous versions works OK. This fits with something that need to be added (and previous versions, that doesn't have this, worked ok?).

I tested only Windows 10 + SNES9x and saw that it working very slow, when some months ago I tested this and it worked fine (but I had problems with controllers).

I supse that we can install other versions and check where the problem started: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=173361

This can be a good start point:
RetroPlayer 18 alpha1 2017-08-25

CHANGELOG
Added new renderer for RetroPlayer
The slowdown in the new renderer could be due to the two memory copies, though x86 PCs should handle this without much effort. I'm adding zero-copy support now, so we'll see if that improves performance.
Tried test build 2018/4/22 (Win10 64bits). All the problems are still there: jerky playback and shifted screen or no video on some cores (gba, genesis).
This should be fixed with PR:13961. I've uploaded some Windows test builds with this fix included.
(2018-06-01, 20:25)garbear Wrote: [ -> ]This should be fixed with PR:13961. I've uploaded some Windows test builds with this fix included.
Hi!

This change seems to fix an issue that I have had for a long time where the Kodi GUI have been very jerky. I tested your Retroplayer test build and now the GUI is smooth again. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will this change also be part of the master branch or is it just for the Retorplayer branch? 

/Macardi
(2018-06-02, 15:55)macardi Wrote: [ -> ]This change seems to fix an issue that I have had for a long time where the Kodi GUI have been very jerky. I tested your Retroplayer test build and now the GUI is smooth again. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but will this change also be part of the master branch or is it just for the Retorplayer branch? 

The fix is PR'd against master. Good to know that this issue affects more than just RetroPlayer. This bumps the priority, which gets it into master faster. All thanks to your report.