Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Krypton keeps crashing on Fire TV (2nd gen)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ever since I got my Fire TV back in May (2nd gen and normal version, not the stick) I've not been able to get Kodi running stable (it also happened before I updated to the latest Kodi version). It keeps crashing, usually when browsing menus or the library and sometimes when playing a movie. So far, the only certain way to reproduce it is to keep browsing the library or when updating it. Movies sometimes play fine to the end and sometimes keep crashing Kodi. I've been going over the debug log, but can't find anything that could point to an explanation. I've seen this in different skins, most recently Estuary and Aeon Nox. I don't have any exotic plugins that I know off, just the default ones. If start Kodi and don't do anything besides pressing a button every 3 minutes to prevent sleep, then it does not crash.

I uploaded one of the debug logs here: https://pastebin.com/PUrR3SfW It crashed while browsing the library.

Any pointers to finding the cause (or resolution!) would be greatly appreciated! I bought the Fire TV primarily so I would have one box with Netflix and Kodi, but so far Kodi has been mostly unusable Sad
*bump* I would also be grateful for any pointers on how to troubleshoot this effectively. Thanks!
I know it has been ages since I asked the question, but I just found out where the problem originates. And while I don't know why it occurs or how to fix it, I do have a workaround.

The problem comes from accessing the network over Samba. I tried copying over a problematic file to the local drive and it worked flawless. The resulting workaround is that I deleted all Samba video sources, configured NFS on my NAS and use that to access NAS content.

I don't know what the specific problem is with Samba. I used the same approach before without problems (same NAS with same FreeNAS software installed together with Kodi on an Intel Nuc running Linux). Now I'm using Android on Fire TV and somehow that doesn't play nice with Samba and FreeNAS. The problem occured in Krypton and Leia, and I think even the version before Krypton.

Anyways, hope this helps someone. And if you have weird problems, make sure you test with local files to exclude network access being the culprit.
Update to 17.6.