Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel Gemini Lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
(2018-03-30, 12:25)Mount81 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-25, 21:44)HomeDope Wrote: [ -> ]So Geminilake won't support HDR on Windows? What is the lowest tdp Intel/amd cpu for HDR?

-HomeDope
 Currently you need minimum a 7th gen i3 Core for HDR. 
What model exactly?
(2018-03-30, 12:46)Rumpelstiltskin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-25, 21:44)HomeDope Wrote: [ -> ]So Geminilake won't support HDR on Windows? What is the lowest tdp Intel/amd cpu for HDR?

-HomeDope
What model exactly?   
 That's all I can say for now: Link -> Based on this, any modell should work.

-HomeDope

Ok thanks mate!
(2018-03-22, 22:41)JK1974 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-22, 07:47)direx Wrote: [ -> ]We have discussed about that link back in January. And I already pointed out there that for HDR support it is still is a long way to go for Linux users. Right now the infrastructure for HDR support is missing both in the Linux kernel and in userspace. This means you won't get HDR support with Kodi on Linux anytime soon. 
I read a lot of threads related to "picking the best Kodi box" and went into subforums, and not being sure if taking e.g. an AMLogic S912, waiting for better Rockchip support or going again the Intel route, I am really suprised about this comment.
So in fact, is this really also valid for all current 4K HDR boxes when running Kodi under Linux, or do they use e.g. special binary drivers and proprietary player modules?
If it really is not supported, this discussion about HDR compatible hardware looks pointless to me, at least if you want to "avoid" Windows as OS.   
Sorry that I have created confusion with my comment. I was referring to the open source graphics drivers and stacks (Kernel DRM/vaapi/mesa/X) on Linux. Of course you can get HDR support on Android, but each Android box suffers from different issues (automatic refresh rate switching on Android seems to be rocket science for instance). And if you are using proprietary graphics stacks on Linux you might also get HDR support, but in my point of view this has always been quite fragile. On the other hand these AMLogic boxes do actually look quite promising (and cheap).
Deleted
It seems that even the Intel guys aren't that sure either if Gemini Lake supports HDR or not.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/123634

Seems like there is no other chance than using Core i3 i guess
Quote:"Allow me to share with you that the NUC7CJYH will support HDR. Please find this information at the following link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/boards-
kits/nuc/nuc7cjyh-nuc7pjyh-nuc7cjys-brief.html
" (von Intel Corporation am 19.03.2018 10:46)
-----------------------------------

"I would like to clarify that the NUC7CJYH does not support HDR. I really apologize for the confusion, the documentation (http://simplynuc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/tech_specs.pdf / https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/nuc7cjyh-nuc7pjyh-nuc7cjys-brief.pdf) used to provide you this information will be corrected. Once again, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may cause." (28.03.2018 13:17)
I bought the NUC7CJYH and I can confirm that it does not support HDR.    Shipping it back.
(2018-04-02, 23:55)dwalme Wrote: [ -> ]I bought the NUC7CJYH and I can confirm that it does not support HDR.    Shipping it back.

Please, before you send it back will it play multichannel FLAC via HDMI pass-through?

Samples here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Sample_files
The Nucblog has launched his review of the Celeron (J4005) Gemini Lake model:
http://nucblog.net/2018/04/gemini-lake-n...yh-review/
(2018-04-03, 08:29)HomerJau Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-04-02, 23:55)dwalme Wrote: [ -> ]I bought the NUC7CJYH and I can confirm that it does not support HDR.    Shipping it back.

Please, before you send it back will it play multichannel FLAC via HDMI pass-through?

Samples here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Sample_files

I'm sorry I no longer have it.

But multichannel flac would be decoded to multichannel pcm. Pretty much every computer for at least the last 5 years (if not 10 years) should be able to pass 7.1 lpcm via hdmi. But I'm not up to speed on the common limitations of these nucs.

I'll add that this nuc is one noisy pos. It's likely the cheap power adapter but there was constant screeching noise being passed through hdmi to my audio processor. Possibly just a ground loop. No issues with my regular HTPC with a standard power supply though. My guess is the cheap 19v power supply.
Thanks for your dwalme.
So what's the final word on Gemini Lake and HDR?  Do you guys think the J5005 will support it?  I've been waiting since November to finally upgrade my Q6600 and AMD entry level 7000 series GPU HTPC.  Was thinking Gemini Lake would be the perfect solution with it's low power consumption (wouldn't feel guilty just leaving it on 24/7) and HDMI 2.0 4k@60hz capability.  Not sure if I should just throw in the towel already and get an i3 7000 series NUC and call it a day.  They can do 4k@60hz and supposedly HDR, but I've heard bad things about the LPSCON converters.
I'm also waiting for the reviews of the Caffe Lake i3 NUCs regarding HDR. As far as I'm informed it would (must) use also the DP->HDMI converter chip, as the IGP doesn't support HDMI 2.0a natively only 1.4. But I guess HDR will work. (Only the 3D MVC will stay a question, as there were issues with these converter chips previously, and most of the upcoming tests will skip to review this function as they did with the previous gen NUCs).

According to Intel's plans Gemini won't support HDR regardless it has native HDMI 2.0a support. (How ironic, I know, but Intel doesn't).
Hi,

I'm thinking about buying an Intel NUC NUC7CJYH4 to replace my HiMedia Q5 Pro, mainly because the Q5 doesn't have the output features I need for my USB DAC and it also struggles frequently when playing multichannel AAC.

It's got a Celeron J4005 which as I understand is a Gemini Lake and I'll be adding 1x4GB of RAM and a 2.5in SSD to it. I don't really mind not having HDR since my TV doesn't support it. Can people please advise whether this NUC can run Kodi with Windows 10 and will it run better than my Q5, specifically:

1. Be able to play 4K without stuttering
2. Hardware decode 8/10-bit HEVC
3. Passthrough multi-channel, i.e. Dolby, DTS, inc Lossless formats - my Marantz processor can do the decoding.
4. Output to USB DAC in Isochronous mode
5. Not really a requirement, wonder how software decoding performs on HD YouTube videos and how Blu-Ray videos can perform when I add an external blu-ray drive.

Connection wise, when streaming movies from my NAS it will go: NUC HDMI > Marantz > TV / Speakers. When streaming music from my NAS it will go: NUC USB > USB DAC > Stereo amp > Speakers
(Marantz will be on separately so I can use the TV as a computer monitor, not going to use the passthrough feature on my stereo amp since I prefer the preamp section of my stereo amp).
Have you tried HibyMusic or NeutronPlayer with the Q5 Pro? I guess they have USB DAC output feature.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21