Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Endless SMB Kodi problems...2 year anniversary!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just plain don't understand why SMB is ALWAYS a problem with KODI. I started using Kodi 2 years ago and the problems never went away. Version 15, version 16, version 17... All of them always have some kind of a problem with SMB connection. We setĀ IRPStackSize, some random registry parameters....exchange this sacred knowledge and spend hours and hours on that!

Look how many topics here on this forum are dedicated to that problem. Speaking of which I just reinstalled Windows 10 and spent about 4 hours fixing this problem on my Fire Stick. Fire TV is a pain in the ass when entering passwords or paths and this problem just turns everything into a nightmare. I did solve it.

But I just don't understand what are priorities of Kodi developers instead of fixing real major bugs that people are facing?
PR welcome
I find smb works perfectly, but then again I have never been game to use windows as a server.
Hear hear!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI CRR-L09 met Tapatalk
The only SMB problem I've ever had with Kodi (and lets be honest here, it's really a Windows issue), was that Windows (at least version 7 and 10) has issues with special characters in Share names and passwords, and for Windows 10, your shares are REQUIRED to have a password (while Windows 7 never required a password).

The above issues was one reason I ditched using Windows to share my content, and created a FreeNAS server to host all my media. Which, btw has been running flawlessly for the past 3 years using only SMB shares.
I host all of my files on a central NAS for years and never had any access problems with KODI (with PIs, S905Xs and NUCs). The same the other way round, I access my LibreELEC clients with SMB from my receivers, tablets and phones, also no problem. OK, KODIs SMB mount is not the fastest option, but it's very stable. Perhaps Windows is the problem here?