Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: navigation too complex
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
really nice sound, terrible GUI. i'm using i7 desktop with 4 gig grafix and 6 gig ram and 7.1 sound using Onkyo a/v system so doubt if this is an issue. very hard to keep play/pause buttons available. extreme difficulty navigating options and preferred media to watch/listen to, to many options with left/right click mouse. i have serious brain injury but can manage ALL of my other apps/programs. a simple GUI for the likes of me would be handy, keep this one for experts with patience. I don't see any other skin options. if anyone can help, I'd much appreciate it. I rely heavily on my PC for entertainment and communication, love Kodi sound but hate the GUI. i have problems with new stuff but have been trying to get to grips with Kodi for 4 days now and find the layout and mouse actions more than challenging. if no help avalible, i'll call it quits and uninstall. HelpHuhHuh
your question is not related to website / forum issues ;-)
moved it to skin support.
Best used with remote or keyboard, if you can manage those.
(2017-12-12, 21:03)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Best used with remote or keyboard, if you can manage those.
 Yes, that's true. But sometimes i miss my WMC Tongue with its easy usage. It is also true that navigation could be more uniform even when using keyboard like me. Once i have to use Back then Esc or tip a control button again. This could be complicated for first time user.
The problem with having a complex beast like Kodi is that it does require a complex GUI to get all the options in. If we dumbed the GUI down to the level of WMC, we'd  have a riot on our hands.

There are probably simpler skins that @Percy Plant could try, but it is hard to recommend one. Perhaps one of the AppleTV lookalikes would be easier? For example AppTV.
Up/Down/Left/Right/Enter, C for Menu & Backspace to go back. That's pretty much all the casual user needs, it's only 7 buttons. Ditch the mouse and just use those keys and you should find it works much better for you.
What about setting up shortcuts or widgets? I'm still in an exploration phase of Kodi but I agree that having the media I want to watch just one or two remote button presses away would go a long way in making Kodi easy to navigate. If I want to watch a movie in my emby library for example it might not show up in the videos section, and I have to dig through add-ons to get the full feature set of the plugin. This is just an example. I also is wmc right now for it's simplicity
I will look into that but I was using that example for illustration purposes. I am on Kodi for xb1 right now so I can't be sure that will work
I toyed around with the confluence skin and it isn't too bad in terms of quick navigation. For the OP I would recommend adding shortcuts to the home screen via the skin settings. I did so for my video add-ons and it reduces having to dig through all of the menus
I want to mention that since last two v18 builds the navigation is now very smooth and fluid without stutter when moving over the main menu entries. Very nice Smile
Kodi GUI is trebble. If you are coming form WMC you always feel sorry.
I never understood why the Kodi team just did not copy the WMC user interface.
We have been using Kodi for 4 years now but my wife still does not manage to operate Kodi fully.
Kodi is overloaded with unnecessary functions. It is sooo geaky but it is the only kid in town and therefore you have to live with it
(2018-02-16, 08:21)Marty56 Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi GUI is trebble. If you are coming form WMC you always feel sorry.
I never understood why the Kodi team just did not copy the WMC user interface.
We have been using Kodi for 4 years now but my wife still does not manage to operate Kodi fully.
Kodi is overloaded with unnecessary functions. It is sooo geaky but it is the only kid in town and therefore you have to live with it

You say nothing about how Kodi could be improved. WMC is nothing I would touch with a large pole, so I don't have a clue about it's GUI. So tell us what is so good about it.
Over the time I have stopped using Kodi for everything except the PVR.
Therefore some comments here which reflect Kodi 17.6.
EPG (Estuary).

1. Font Size not selectable by user. The EPG - for me - is not readalbe because font size is too small and there is not way to increase the font size.
That almost a showstopper for me. Most of the time I am using the TV headend WebUi anyway to program shows because of this.

2. Options Menu: I can only access (using a remote control and no mouse) this by scrolling back many days into the past. This does not make sense. I am never interested in EPG information that is in the past.  

3. Search: Why does Search not already offer selection after entering the first letter and then refine the result after the next letter?

4. After clicking on an EPG Entry basically the screen is almost not filled but still there is - in most cases - no room to display the whole discription of the show. User has to navigate to  and then click on the decription to read the description. And then back again if he wants to start a recording. Too many clicks!

5. No Off- line Mode for recorded shows. User cannot advise Kodi to download shows onto the client. So consuming recorded shows on the road is not possible (unless one has super fast mobile internet...)

6. Managing recorded shows: Context menu is full of things which are irrelevant for me. The only entry I am using is "delete" after I have watched the show. But this entry is at the bottom of the list. And after I have navigated here  I am again been questioned whether I want to delete. There are 6 strokes with the remote a acchieve this task. 2 strokes should be the goal.
I would look for a menu which says delete and job done. All the other stuff like renaming and so on is not required.

7. Colors in EPG. I often have the situation that a white font is used on a yellow background for the entry which is currently selected. How readalbe is this?

8. Channel Menu: Having an EPG why is there a need for a channel menu. Get rid of this overhead.

9. Installing and selection PVR. Why is the user when he is clicking on 'TV enable' not automatically send to the PVR selection?

10. In Lea there is the idea to place the Channel groups on the EPG. Please do not do this. Leave it there where user does not have to bother because I will never use this selection and this menu is consuming valuable screen estate of the EPG.

List is not completed but I have given pretty much hope that there is a change to simplicity in Kodi.
You could try a few different skins perhaps?
Pages: 1 2