Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: French characters in EPG
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I've been a Kodi/XBMC user for a few years, and I recently purchased a TV tuner card for my Windows 10 PC.

I've set up NextPVR as my back-end.

As for my TV guide, I followed this guide here, using Zap2xml.
https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.ph...mp-Zap2xml

Everything is working fine when viewed in Kodi (or directly in NextPVR), except for an annoyance in the show's description where it doesn't show any of the French character/accents appropriately (é, ê, ï, ç, etc. showed as "eacute" "ecirc", etc.). Strange thing is, the shows' titles are showing fine, with all the proper accents/characters.

I tried multiple hints of solution found here and there regarding the "UpdateEPG.bat" file, such as adding "-e" or adding "-l fr", while deleting the EPG and rescraping the data between attemps, but I was unable to make it work appropriately.

Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for reading, and have a great day
Do these characters show correctly in NextPVR's own TV Guide screen?
(2017-12-12, 20:42)sub3 Wrote: [ -> ]Do these characters show correctly in NextPVR's own TV Guide screen?
 No they don't.
Ok, if you can supply one of your xmltv files, I'll check it here and fix if necessary.
Thank you sub3 for taking the time.

Here's the .xml file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fJIwKeM...sp=sharing

If it helps, here's the text in my UpdateEPG.bat file
C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts\zap2xml.exe -o C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts\epg.xml -u [username] -p [password] -d 8 -e -D -A "new live" -S 1 -E "amp apos quot lt gt" –F

I notice that the encoding for the titles is different than from the description. Example from my xml file, it will use "&#233" for "é" in the title, but "eacute" in the description.
(2017-12-13, 02:17)Begineizer Wrote: [ -> ]I notice that the encoding for the titles is different than from the description. Example from my xml file, it will use "&#233" for "é" in the title, but "eacute" in the description.
 Thanks for the file.

It's a bug in zap2xml. "é" is a valid escape code for html, but not for xml. It looks they've scraped this off a website, and failed to convert it. You'd need to talk to the author of zap2xml to get them to correct this.
Thanks sub3, I'll do just that and post the developper's answer here once available.
Chiming in 'cause I have the same issue right now. Are you sure the charset does not work properly in NPVR? I just set up TVHeadEnd for the first time and while everything works fine, I have the exact same issue you're describing but only in Kodi. In TVHE if I double-click a show its description shows perfectly, as in Apple TV's TVHE client, but in Kodi I get the é and other accents showing wrong.
(2017-12-25, 02:36)jpbelanger79 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure the charset does not work properly in NPVR?
 No, not for me, they weren't showing properly in the NextPVR back-end neither.

The good news is that is has now been fixed.

Quoting the email the developper sent me last week:
"The latest version on the homepage hopefully fixes the decoding of html characters in zap2it's detail data (-D)."

I tested it yesterday, and everything is showing perfectly now.

Thanks everyone for your help and Happy New Year.
Great!