Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 4K Possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heyho fellows,

can anyone tell me if it will be possible to play 4K movies with this mediacenter?
Installed will be Windows 10 and the newest Kodi version.

The mediacenter i wanna try out is:  Intel NUC CANYON NUC5I7RYH (Intel Core i7-5557U, USB 3.0 Typ-A)
I now have an older Intel NUC with an i5  and it's stuttering with 4K movies.

Thanks for your answers.
As per Nucblognet:

Mini DisplayPort 1.2 connector supporting 4K @ 60 Hz
Mini HDMI 1.4a connector supporting 4K @ 30 Hz

Stuttering may come from 10bit (hevc) videos (which probably aren't supported by the Nuc's GPU).
Press on 'o' during a video for some info.
Or provide us a debug log (wiki).
My advice is to go for the newer Kabylake NUC's (NUC7i5 or even NUC7i3). They support hevc 10bit decoding in hardware so should have no problems. The i3 might already be sufficient, I have the NUC7i5 and it hardly has to work at it.
If i buy the NUC7i5 you recommending, will i still be able to control it with my Logitech Harmony remote?
Cant find anything in the specs.
(2017-12-13, 19:17)Murtock Wrote: [ -> ]If i buy the NUC7i5 you recommending, will i still be able to control it with my Logitech Harmony remote?
Cant find anything in the specs.
The NUC7i5 has both Bluetooth and a infrared receiver built-in. My Harmony Elite can use bluetooth to control the NUC which is a bit more responsive than Infrared. Infrared works too, I have to use infrared to switch on the NUC when it's shutdown.
It's a while ago since I programmed the Harmony and I don't know whether there's a ready-made NUC profile for the NUC but it should work fine.

The Nuc comes in two sizes. The BNH version is a bit higher so there's room for an SSD. Keep in mind these are barebones so you need to add storage and memory yourself. I purchased an Intel 600P drive for storage and Kingston HyperX for ram.