Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Nvidia shield vs wisewo box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.amazon.com/WISEWO-Android-Wi...2470955011

This box vs the Nvidia shield.. what should I buy and why
Hi,

Better Android TV box, definitely more powerful than the AMLogic Box = NVIDIA Shield, which will also do up to 4K Netflix, 4K Amazon Video. Far easier to use Android device because it is running Android TV.

Better for mixed SDR & 4K HDR Kodi box, that can also do TV deinterlacing reliably using Kodi Krypton = WISEWO AMLogic S912 box running DIY LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.
However No DRM or HDCP for even 720p Netflix when using Android and cannot run Amazon Video app properly at all.

Dual Boot Android / LibreELEC Kodi Krypton = AMLogic S912 box.

Work out what Audio & Video & Apps needed first before even looking at tech Specs of any media player hardware.

Please do not Spam the forum, posting the same question in Multiple threads.
(2017-12-18, 03:11)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

Better Android TV box, definitely more powerful than the AMLogic Box = NVIDIA Shield, which will also do up to 4K Netflix, 4K Amazon Video. Far easier to use Android device because it is running Android TV.

Better for mixed SDR & 4K HDR Kodi box, that can also do TV deinterlacing reliably using Kodi Krypton = WISEWO AMLogic S912 box running DIY LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.
However No DRM or HDCP for even 720p Netflix when using Android and cannot run Amazon Video app properly at all.

Dual Boot Android / LibreELEC Kodi Krypton = AMLogic S912 box.

Work out what Audio & Video & Apps needed first before even looking at tech Specs of any media player hardware.

Please do not Spam the forum, posting the same question in Multiple threads.

Sorry about double post. If I'm just looking to run Hulu live ..Netflix.. / Kodi you guys think shield is best for my situation? My initial thoughts were to go with fire TV, but I'm trying to decide my best path for now / future. Thanks

My setup is pretty simple (optical audio , HDMI video )
I guess I don't know the full advantages of Kodi/ additional apps but I'm sure some of you can weigh in. Thanks again
Get the NVIDIA Shield, that AMLogic box will not give you HD Netflix or HD Hulu because it has no DRM & HDCP (audio and video copy protection), no Netflix approval and no Google Certification.

If you are not using Kodi / SPMC for mixed SDR and 4K HDR10 then you will be fine with the Shield.

EDIT: now you have added an optical requirement. Be aware you will not get any 5.1 Audio from Android TV Apps like Netflix or Amazon Video, and very likely Hulu as well as they use DD+ audio. You have to use a HDMI connected DD+ capable audio receiver for 5.1 Audio from those Apps.

A Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB Analog & Digital Audio Adapter can be added to the Shield for Optical.

The only Amazon Hardware I know of with inbuilt optical output is the pretty old Gen1 2014 Fire TV. That device will not decode 10bit HEVC.

Only other Kodi capable hardware I know of that can do DD 5.1 Android TV Netflix Audio over it's inbuilt Optical port is the DIY - WeTek Play2.
Not sure if or how well it runs Hulu Live, you would need to ask on THIS Sub-forum (click)
It definitely will NOT do Amazon Video.
(2017-12-18, 03:38)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Get the NVIDIA Shield, that AMLogic box will not give you HD Netflix or HD Hulu because it has no DRM & HDCP (audio and video copy protection), no Netflix approval and no Google Certification.

If you are not using Kodi / SPMC for mixed SDR and 4K HDR10 then you will be fine with the Shield.

Thanks again. I'm not even sure what that Kodi / spmc for mixed sdr / 4k hdr10 part is 😂😂 sorry. But alright sounds like shield will do all I need
(2017-12-18, 03:38)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Get the NVIDIA Shield, that AMLogic box will not give you HD Netflix or HD Hulu because it has no DRM & HDCP (audio and video copy protection), no Netflix approval and no Google Certification.

EDIT: now you have added an optical requirement. Be aware you will not get any 5.1 Audio from Android TV Apps like Netflix or Amazon Video, and very likely Hulu as well as they use DD+ audio. You have to use a HDMI connected DD+ capable audio receiver for 5.1 Audio from those Apps.

A Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB Analog & Digital Audio Adapter can be added to the Shield for Optical.

The only Amazon Hardware I know of with optical output is the pretty old v1 Fire TV

Only other Kodi capable hardware I know of that can do 5.1 ATV Netflix Audio over it's inbuilt Optical port is the DIY - WeTek Play2.
Not sure if or how well it runs Hulu Live, you would need to ask on THIS Sub-forum (click)
It definitely will NOT do Amazon Video.

Gotcha , actually it's not a problem to use HDMI for audio/video . So I'll just do that. Appreciate the help, and can I load Kodi on to the shield and use majority of Kodi benefits fairly easy ?
Yes Kodi or SPMC will be fine.
(2017-12-18, 04:00)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Yes Kodi or SPMC will be fine.

Awesome ! Amazon had good deal on it today so I just bought it 5 min ago, thanks a ton!

Spmc is a fork off of Kodi right ?

Also why are there videos on YouTube showing
people getting live TV for free through apps... Iptv? That's illegal correct? Sorry I'm a newb , as I stated before I'm gonna use our Hulu live and Netflix (currently have a Chromecast which is very limited )
Yup.
(2017-12-18, 04:12)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Yup.

Assuming that's a yup to all my questions. Thanks guys!! Excited for my shield tv

Shield tv does support Hulu correct?
So far happy with the Nvidia shield tv, I have Kodi installed all is good. My one and only issue that I currently have is Hulu live does not work on shield tv under the Hulu app... I have to still cast it through my phone... Hopefully Hulu fixes this.. I'm assuming nobody has a work around for this issue?

Also can anyone recommend a good budget receiver 5.1/7.1 doesn't matter. Thanks guys
Yes, Hulu has stated that they will be adding Live TV for their Android TV app, but has not said when.  Though YouTube just recently added their live TV and if you live where it's available I would check that out.  There is also Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, so you have alternatives.

As for a AVR, it depends on what you mean by budget.  What kind of budget, what price range?  Are you going to need speakers as well?  There are a lot of good AVRs out there that you can get relatively cheap, but really it's beyond the scope of this forum and you should look at somewhere like Audioholiccs or AVS Fourm.
(2017-12-20, 15:48)Tinwarble Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, Hulu has stated that they will be adding Live TV for their Android TV app, but has not said when.  Though YouTube just recently added their live TV and if you live where it's available I would check that out.  There is also Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, so you have alternatives.

As for a AVR, it depends on what you mean by budget.  What kind of budget, what price range?  Are you going to need speakers as well?  There are a lot of good AVRs out there that you can get relatively cheap, but really it's beyond the scope of this forum and you should look at somewhere like Audioholiccs or AVS Fourm.

I have some old cerwin Vegas lolol but yeah alright I appreciate your help !! I'll check out avs form.