Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dual Media Source
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wasn't sure where to post this thread but since I am using KODI on android I choose this one though it's not android specific question.
I was trying to get some answers with the help of google but I couldn't even find a similar topic.
I use KODI as my MovieDatabaseon Android - I have an external hdd with my media on it and when I'm home I just hang it on my router and stream the content.
When I'm traveling I take my hdd with me and play the files locally.

The goal I'd like to achieve is that - since I am using the same disk, sometimes as a SMB share, sometimes as a local device -
to "tell Kodi" that the Library source I've added is either on the share or on the locally mounted device.

So when I start a media or when it does a scan it checks both location but does not create dual entry.

Of course I could add it as a second path when I'm adding a source though I'm afraid that I will just create duplicates and a mess in my DB - which I am trying to avoid.

So my question is - to sum up - can I add a media source where I define two paths using either-or logic so Kodi tries first one and only if that is not available, than the other one?

Thanks a lot in advance
cheers!
I'd create two profiles (wiki), one for local and one for SMB. And then use whichever one is appropriate for where you are and how things are connected.
I would use path substiutions for that.
So create an advancedsettings.xml wih pathsubs (eg from the usual smb source to a local source), and drop that into the userdata folder if you're away from home / using local sources.
In theory you could set up a second profile with a shared library and use the advancedsetings pathsubs in that profile.
wow, thanks both of you for the fast reply! 2 profiles seems easy enough but the other option looks simple enough and would avoid a dpulicate db.
i will try the substitution (a word that I forgot to google SmileSmile) and will check as soon I have some time. should I fail with that I'll go for the double profile.
thanks again!!!
a quick feedback: I couldnt try as I cannot connect my hdd to my yoga tab (4TB) - for now only if I format fat32 MBR, 1,6TB :o
so up until I figure that out I won't be able to test these - though as said both sound simple enough I assume both but at least one will work. thx again for the infos!