Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video metadata without playing from FTP?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Not sure where to have posted this so thought I'd shove it here. Smile

Running LibreELEC (bare with me) on Kodi 17.6. It appears if I use a video source using internal SMB it will pull video metadata without having to play the video (3d, audio, res etc), but if I use FTP (via dyndns for the NAS thus external) then it won't grab the metadata at all unless the file is played. Which is a bit meh considering they are basically duplicated in the library listing, and confusing when you're not sure which one is which.

Now I seen a github request where someone had this issue but lacked details to verify if they were the same protocols but the response from the dev was that it's normal for the metadata to only be grabbed once played, yet it grabs it without doing so using SMB. Is this a protocol thing? Internal vs external thing? Or is my Kodi special and shouldn't be doing it at all?

Best regards
An update, it appears to be an external vs internal thing. I tried adding a source with FTP using private IP and it grabbed all metadata nicely, tried the same but using the dyndns domain instead of IP and it doesn't grab any, it loads it into library but no codec info, audio channels, 3d or not etc. Strange.

I also noticed the following appears a lot in the kodi.log
16:43:23.821 T:1647571872  NOTICE: LoadJpeg: unable to load http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/original/3WnD4...I8I14E.jpg
16:43:24.367 T:1647571872 WARNING: COMXImageFile::GetCodingType progressive images not supported by decoder
16:43:24.408 T:1647571872 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
Just this over and over, but different tmdb addresses of course. Most probably not connected at all.

Also
16:43:09.377 T:1511076768  NOTICE: CCurlFile::Stat - Content length failed: No error(0) for ftp://USERNAME:[email protected]:21/|auth=ssl
However googling this says it's most likely a software error from the OS, but whatever. :}
Anyone have any ideas with this?
There is a lot that doesn't work with ftp.
(2018-01-16, 06:28)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]There is a lot that doesn't work with ftp.
 Yeah it's becoming more clear, it's the best protocol to use on Kodi for external connectivity though isn't it? From what I could see in the list in source options anyway, I suspect SFTP follows suit or is that more progressed?
ftp is incredibly insecure and probably the worst protocol to choose for external.

I have never tried to access media libraries across the internet, but webdav should be secure. Probably a better solution is a vpn.
I found the solution to 'Movie art/posters' not being scraped over ftp in this topic (dated 2015!) by grace of @livar95.

Using Leia beta2 on Nvidia Shield. Issue was on Jarvis build also. Video on nas over ftp.