Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Android box for kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. Im looking to buy my first android tv.
Ive read quite a lot, too much to be honest cos now im more confused than when i started 🙈
Im looking for a box mainly for kodi. Ill wanna watch movies, tv shows and live sports. Just a plug in and play one. It wont be going through any recievers or anything like that.

My question is which box would be best. I dont have a price range,just one that will work well with live sport.
And would i need the nvidia or would the cost of the box be too much for what im wanting?

Thanks. Hope someone can help
Live Sport using which Paid for streaming Apps exactly ?

We will not help you if you if all you want to stream is illegal pirate content using God knows what Addon.
Kodi has a banned Addons list you may want to look at:

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons
Not sure which one yet as im living in Poland. Will i be able to get all of the paid sports apps or just the ones in Poland?

Just reading about the U2C Turbo.
What are your thoughts on this box?

Thanks
Android Boxes that people use on this forum:

Android TV: (these two boxes have the correct DRM (copy protection) for paid for streaming Apps & Sports)
High end = NVIDIA Shield
Low end = Xiaomi Mi Box

Android boxes running the tablet/mobile Android OS - these need an Air Mouse / Touchpad remote to be able to use touchscreen Apps properly:
High End = MINIX U9 or WeTek Play2 (those two also have DRM)
Low end = the army of AMLogic S905X / S912 boxes (various names) - but they must be running Android 7.1.x - otherwise expect issues on such cheap boxes.

These are know devices that work and can install and run Kodi Krypton correctly. Really anything else is a lottery due to the quality of Firmware you will be getting.
(2017-12-22, 01:25)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Android Boxes that people use on this forum:

Android TV: (these two boxes have the correct DRM (copy protection) for paid for streaming Apps & Sports)
High end = NVIDIA Shield
Low end = Xiaomi Mi Box

Android boxes running the tablet/mobile Android OS - these need an Air Mouse / Touchpad remote to be able to use touchscreen Apps properly:
High End = MINIX U9 or WeTek Play2 (those two also have DRM)
Low end = the army of AMLogic S905X / S912 boxes (various names) - but they must be running Android 7.1.x - otherwise expect issues on such cheap boxes.

These are know devices that work and can install and run Kodi Krypton correctly. Really anything else is a lottery due to the quality of Firmware you will be getting.
I am perfectly happy with my S912 boxes, at least they fulfill the need I had.

Now I have another need and I am looking for High end. I noticed the Nvidia Shield TV. One question on this: does it output various refresh rates? 24Hz, 30Hz, 50Hz, 60Hz, ...? 

I am wondering because the spec sheets only seem to list the max rate of 60Hz. However for a HD movie to play smoothly the device must output 24Hz to the screen or receiver.

Regards
60hz>24hz so I'm not sure what you mean by 'max refresh rate' Huh Shield will play at 24hz, but so will most other boxes, including the MINIX U9 or WeTek Play2 which are probably sufficient for your needs.
(2017-12-22, 22:43)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]60hz>24hz so I'm not sure what you mean by 'max refresh rate' Huh Shield will play at 24hz, but so will most other boxes, including the MINIX U9 or WeTek Play2 which are probably sufficient for your needs.
 Thanks, by max refresh rate I mean... the highest refresh rate a device can output. If the specs say "up to 4K at 60Hz" like here it specifies the maximum the device can do. However itnis never specified which lower refresh rates the device can do while this is crucial for smooth playback of media such as HD movies.

My Android TV box can do 60Hz but it seems ot cannot do 24Hz.

I do not mean if a box can playback 24Hz content. All devices can do that. I mean: can the device adjust the signal it is outputting through the HDMI cable to the receiver or screen to be also e.g. 24Hz. Because no matter how well your device plays e.g. 24Hz media, if the output to the screen is 60Hz you are going to get judder as 24 frames can never be aligned with a 60Hz cycle.