Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi video playback freezes - have to restart frequently
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since past few days I see that my main kodi freezes every now and then and have to restart it if I still need to use it to view movies/TV shows. My setup is as follows:
kodi@dv6 (this one freezes all the time):
----------------------------------------------------
Kernel: Linux 4.4.0-104-generic #127-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 11 12:16:42 UTC 2017
Release: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (Xenial Xerus)
Kodi (17.6 Git:20171114-a9a7a20) x64 build
Kodi application autostarts using upstart (probably why I can't kill kodi but have to logoff/logon after every freeze)
All content on an external drive which is always connected. Movies and shows are exported using NFS. 
MySQL DB running on this machine.

Kodi@firestick - No issues. Using advancedsettings.xml to connect to DB and media from NFS.
kodi@laptop - No issues. Using advancedsettings.xml to connect to DB and media from NFS.

Whenever I observe kodi video playback freezing its the only instance reading media from disk. No other kodi instance is in use.

So when I start playing video file, after random duration (few seconds to few minutes) video playback just freezes. After I logoff and log back in have to start the whole process again. 'In Progress' is not updated with this video.

Logs are quite cryptic hence not too sure what is the problem but a crashlog file says below:
17:01:46.913 T:140159882360576  NOTICE: CDVDVideoCodecFFmpeg::CDropControl: calculated diff time: 41708
17:01:52.354 T:140159882360576 WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer
17:02:01.465 T:140159966189312 WARNING: Previous line repeats 2 times.
17:02:01.465 T:140159966189312  NOTICE: CVideoPlayerAudio:Tonguerocess - stream stalled
17:03:26.552 T:140159974582016 WARNING: VideoPlayer::Sync - stream player video does not start, flushing buffers

I am not too sure if this is where it stalled or this was a previously logged message. 
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated - please share detailed steps to provide troubleshooting info.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Ah.. Couldn't reproduce issue till now.
Debug log captured and uploaded on https://pastebin.com/EiqWCHYD.
Kodi is now frozen and does not take any input.

Can someone also let me know how to kill this manually? (I hate to ask this; I know the PID and I kill it using -9. After which there is no kodi.bin process running but ubuntu desktop still shows the application and I can still switch to it - though its in frozen state)

Thanks @DarrenHill  for details.
Hello there... I believe this is almost exactly what I am seeing... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307428