Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi stuck on Options menu using Raspberry Pi 3, Kodi, OSMC, xperience1080
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Last night, my wife said she was having trouble getting the TV to shutoff. I am not sure what she did, but she only did some combination of remote key presses. This morning Kodi was locked and only displayed an Options menu in lower left. No remote keypresses would work, and the system seemed stuck. Rebooting didn't help. A few days ago I did an apt-get update and dist-upgrade, followed by a reboot.

I enabled debugging using the following: 

nano .kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>   
   <loglevel>2</loglevel> <!-- Change this to "1" to hide the on-screen debug log text -->
</advancedsettings>

And everything worked. However, if I remove this file, then it locks on the options menu again.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am using Kodi 17.5, OSMC 2017-10.1, kernel 4.9.29.10-osmc, and xperience1080 skin. I am not sure what logs would help.

The .kodi log contains the following errors:cat .kodi/temp/kodi.log | grep ERROR
06:05:25.031 T:1958551552   ERROR: DBus: Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files

06:11:09.681 T:1261360112   ERROR: ffmpeg[4B2ED3F0]: [mpeg2video] Invalid frame dimensions 0x0.

06:11:09.862 T:1261360112   ERROR: Previous line repeats 10 times.

06:11:09.911 T:1261360112   ERROR: ffmpeg[4B2ED3F0]: [IMGUTILS] Picture size 0x1080 is invalid

06:11:09.911 T:1261360112   ERROR: ffmpeg[4B2ED3F0]: [IMGUTILS] Picture size 0x0 is invalid
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Since enabling debug logging, one thing to try temporarily (i.e. so you don't spend Christmas Day troubleshooting more) is to enable debug logging in advanced settings with level 1.  I'd be curious to see if that temporarily fixes the issue (and the debug messages wouldn't show).  You might try quitting kodi and renaming the .kodi folder in the pi home directory.  That will create a fresh new setup.  If that works you could move some things like the database folder back over (which would restore all your media) and then maybe redo the skin stuff by hand.
(2017-12-25, 15:30)pkscout Wrote: [ -> ]Since enabling debug logging, one thing to try temporarily (i.e. so you don't spend Christmas Day troubleshooting more) is to enable debug logging in advanced settings with level 1.  I'd be curious to see if that temporarily fixes the issue (and the debug messages wouldn't show).  You might try quitting kodi and renaming the .kodi folder in the pi home directory.  That will create a fresh new setup.  If that works you could move some things like the database folder back over (which would restore all your media) and then maybe redo the skin stuff by hand.
If I change from 2 to 1 and reboot, then I get the Options menu again and everything is locked up. So, I changed back to 2, and now that is broken as well. Arrgh!

I moved .kodi to .kodi_old and restarted and everything worked. I reverted and everything broke. When I have more time, then I will step through each of the files and try to figure out how I broke it. (Or maybe just redo the skin stuff by hand).

Thanks !
I scanned through the kodi.log but was unable to identify the root cause. My best guess is the skin was trying to parse a JSON file (not the error below) and for some reason it could, the skin failed to load and it just stopped. There are no significant ERROR or FATAL messages in the kodi.log. There are many WARNINGs.
 $ cat ~/.kodi_old/temp/kodi.log | grep ERR 13:09:20.018 T:1958768640   ERROR: DBus: Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
So, I tried starting all over by removing the folder /home/<user>/.kodi. I changed from osmc skin to estuary and then changed to the xperience1080 skin. The xperience1080 skin needed to download some dependencies, but it kept hanging on one of those dependencies. I'd let it run for hours, but it never finished. I tried several times. The last time I rebooted and retried, everything worked. It didn't hang on the dependency. I didn't change anything. 

I am not sure why it failed, or why it worked.