Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: What actually encodes with Kodi+HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Never thought of it before, but after getting a new TV, 40 to 50 inch, I noticed the quality was pretty bad when streaming through my HTPC. These are 4-8GB mkv\avi files. I know due to the bigger screen, some degradation would be expected, but I'm wondering where to spend the money to provide the high quality I'm after. My HTPC is an Athlon 5350 running Kodi standalone on an SSD, with my movies streamed via 1200mbps Powerline adaptors. 

The blacks are looking green, and the same movie streamed to my Desktop (Haswell) via Kodi looks totally different. Again I could be stating the bleeding obvious, bigger screen etc.
Would I be correct in thinking that a primary cause of the bad quality could be the GPU on the chip, so some investment in an upgrade would help, or am I limited by some other factor? As far as I know, the Onkyo doesn't upscale or encode the video as its essentially an entry level amp.

Current Setup: NAS\File Server > Kodi HTPC > Onkyo TX-SR507 Amp > Panny EX700B50. 

Thanks
First, eliminate the onkyo by running without it temporarily . As simple as unplugging and replugging the hdmi.
(2018-01-03, 00:33)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]First, eliminate the onkyo by running without it temporarily . As simple as unplugging and replugging the hdmi.
 Thanks I'll have a go at that tonight.
I would suggest first, analyzing what encoding and bitrate or encoder settings are used in the AV files that aren't displaying properly.  It might point to a problem with a specific format.

you might want to grab some of the video sample files from here:  sample (wiki) so you are working from a known quantity.

also take a look at this:  Video levels and color space (wiki)

scott s.