Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Upnp (multiple)Library Share
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello !

i want to make a new setup using UPNP for library share (my NAS is overloaded hosting MySQL)

the thing is i have an parents profile with it following library and file share
AND
a kids profile with an other dedicated library ...

is it possible to manage this with upnp library share from only one "master" kodi ?

also does the media plays from source ? or from upnp kodi server ?
If I remember correctly, UPnP sources can't be scanned into the local library on the Kodi devices, as the file name path is dynamic.

So you can play them, but you won't get the full experience with all the metadata and other whistles and bangs related to the library view like watched status and progress storage.
the wiki says :
http://kodi.wiki/view/Syncing_and_sharing
Quote:1.1 Local network HOW-TO:Share libraries using UPnPUPnP sharing between two Kodi devices is the easiest way to share a library. You can also share multiple libraries, one from each Kodi device, to all the other devices on the same network. UPnP also takes care of file sharing, so you do not need to do anything extra even if your files are added locally to Kodi. 
You can share but you can't include in the local library. Found it also in the wiki:

UPnP/Media source (wiki)

Quote:Kodi can use UPnP as a media sources from any device that has a UPnP server. UPnP media servers are available for most operating systems and many hardware platforms. Kodi itself can be a UPnP server.

Currently, due to technical limitations (dynamic file paths) UPnP file sources can't be scanned into the local library. However, since many UPnP servers can provide metadata as well as the files themselves, then this may not be an issue.