Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Some Love for the XBox Devs & XBox Kodi Version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Been reading a lot of wining and complaining about missing Passthrough, 4k Playback and other things missing in the XBOX Version.

Well I just wanted to show some Love to the XBOX Devs for their hard work and dedication. And i just wanted to get the word out that theese missing things do not make Kodi for Xbox obsolete as some people say.
I am using Kodi on XBox simply as a 720-1080p Media Box from my NAS and only have a 2.0 Soundbar attached to my TV.

For simple purposes like this Kodi for Xbox is awesome for me because it eliminates the need for me to have an extra Android Box or something sitting around.
While Kodi on XBox may not be the High End replacement for now it is a nice solution for the simple things and simpler Hifi Setups.

Lots of thanks to all the Kodi Devs who have made my life a joy every evening for the past years. No matter if I was using an HTPC, an Android Box or now an XBox One you always had me covered.

Hugs to all of you. Just know that your work is loved by so many.
Well said mate, I'm well chuffed with having Kodi on my Xbox and the progress that is being made.
well said just a little bit sad my kodi is missing on the ready to install list and now the store lol,love it withouth the passthrough and 4k i'm just happy that it's on the xbox one as it is useful to me.
I agree 100% with the comments above.
My setup is much the same as busta.rhymes above, and whilst the Alpha is very flaky on many things, it's to be expected.

Regardless of that, seeing a waiting update is like being a kid at Christmas - I can't wait to see what's improved and if it doesn't work - well maybe tomorrow Smile

My Xbox One X is rapidly becoming my all in one media centre, and I have managed to rid myself of a satellite box and used the Android box as a passthrough on the Xbox HDMI input. That way, I can still get full Kodi usability, then compare it with the Alpha, until eventually, I'll be able to leave the Android behind.

These guys work incredibly hard, and it irritates me when I see people complaining or trying to set time limits on when something is done.
Just shut the f*** up and let them get on with it.

I have used Kodi on PC's, Raspberry Pi's, Linux PC's and Android boxes.
It's pretty simple, if this version doesn't fulfil your needs, install it on a system that does.

Rant over Smile
Keep it coming!!!
This is awesome. It has done a full circle back to Xbox. The Xbox one release should be called XBMC Once again I think. Thanks devs keep it up this makes life easier much better than having a extra box in the home theater setup.
If fully agree that Kodi on the XBOX One is a great thing and that the developers do a tremendous job. What a lot of "Whiners" forget is that the developers share an Alpha release of Kodi on the XBOX ONE just to let the community now that great things are happening. And an Alpha release on a new Platform is never bug free and not all bells and whistles will work. 
Personally I find that the developers already did a great job.  Nod

At this moment I've installed the Alpha version on my XBOX One X but in practice I won't use yet as I'm normally using an Intel NUC with LibreElec. Because now I've got a 4K TV which supports HDR I'm looking for a decent media player solution which can support these requirements. So a XBOX One Kodi version might be a viable option. My biggest worry is that Microsoft won't let the developers have access on the UWP to certain functionality which is crucial on a superb Media Player from an Audio (Pass-through of all kind of new audio formats like DTS-X, Atmos etc) and video (4K, HDR, frame  rate switching etc) perspective.
So the upcoming months I will watch closely the development of Kodi on the XBOX One and compare it with the development of LibreElec on the newest Intel NUCs. If I'm not mistaken the latest Intel Linux display drivers should support HDR and 4K with some of the newest Intel NUC's.

One advantage LibreElec will always have is the speed of starting up the media player and stability. That is really unrivaled. But then again it is a dedicated box and not a Jack of all Trades.
Great post. I completely agree. It’s alpha and users need to be aware that there will be bugs and missing features as the Xbox OS is quite strict. Users need to ensure they read the known bugs and FAQ first before they post that X,Y, and Z and not working.

I’ve been using Kodi for over 10 years on various platforms. Going backwards in time ... Win 10 HTPC w/GTX 1070(Kodi DsPlayer), Raspberry Pi 3, Nvidia Shield v2, Win 10 Zotac Zbox, Raspberry Pi 2, Nvidia Shield v1 .... all the way to my Mac Mini core duo which if memory serves, was XBMC via Windows boot camp until OSXBMC rolled out.

Every single one of them had/has issues. The best being the Nvidia Shield and Win 10 DSPlayer, but those are not perfect either as there were issues OUTSIDE of Kodi. The Shield’s gamestreaming from the PC never worked right. The HTPC ... is a PC ... and doesn’t have the WAF and ease of use I need for the kids, especially since we’re cordcutters. So this Xmas .. 2 Xboxes. So far, awesome. Games work right, Netflix/Amazon/Pandors/SlingTV/Youtube ...etc. are available on one platform. And yeah, I was willing to slum it with Plex, but Kodi is the icing on the cake and makes the investment worthwhile.

The missing features like 4k/HDR and 24hz support will come (or not), and some such as passthrough may never happen. Either way, I’m happy with what I have.
100% agree!  UWP is a lot of work to migrate such a complicated, powerful, application over to.

Amazing work to all involved!!!!

THANK YOU!!
This, indeed. Been a user since xbmp on the first xbox. Will be so nice if kodi works proper on the xbox one now. Can use my rpi and amlogic-boxes for other neat stuff. Make sure you all hit that donate-button in the top right corner while you're in here giving praise Smile
can one of the devs tell me if the kodi app allows add-ons to run dll files, executables, or even javascript??
i'm thinking about getting into the development of this project however i would like to know the add-on capabilities first.
Can we go back to the old school name of xbmp?
(2018-01-09, 03:46)alexthepink95 Wrote: [ -> ]can one of the devs tell me if the kodi app allows add-ons to run dll files, executables, or even javascript??

no, no and no. An UWP app can't execute any executable, only running another UWP app is allowed. Also UWP app can't load a dll file outside package installation folder even system dlls. i.e. only dll which shipped with Kodi can be loaded into a process.

(2018-01-09, 03:46)alexthepink95 Wrote: [ -> ]Can we go back to the old school name of xbmp?

Answer is no. We will not back to xbmp/c name
Yall prolly dont hear it enough but thank you for all yall do. If I can help in any way I will. Once again thank you for all yalls hard work and keep it up.
Thank you!!!
Two days ago I went to GameStop (US) to get xbox one s.
Start asking sales guy about all kind of stuff but games Smile
He was completely puzzled when I mention that I do not need this device for games Smile

Did not have a chance to open it up yet but I know its gonna grow huge this year.
GO KODI TEAM !!!
I'll jump in here too. Been using XBMP/XBMC/Kodi since the original XBox (which is still sitting under my TV for nostalgia). Got to play with the XB1 alpha of Kodi for an hour or so the other night and was giddy as hell throughout. Major hat-tip to everyone involved with the project. Their perseverance and an unimaginable ton of hard work has given us a quite usable glimpse at what will (once again) become a top platform for running our favorite media center. All the "Any word on XB1 support?" posts over and over, and once they give us an ALPHA release to try out only to be met with "Why don't you have (insert feature here) working?" posts... Please don't let it get to you, devs. We're all excited at the progress you've made already and we'll welcome the final release when it's ready!
Pages: 1 2