Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Unable to add remote sources on MacBook
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I have kodi installed on different machines (HTPC running LibreElec, Win10 PCs and also a MacBook Pro with MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2).
My media files are hosted on my HTPC, and all other Kodi installs are reading from there.

It drives me crazy but with the MacBook I am not able to add any remote source and to connect to the HTPC:
  • Windows network (SMB) doesn't show any shares
  • Zeroconf browser shows shares for my NAS (Samba) and LibreElec (Samba and SFTP) but clicking on them doesn't work
  • Network File System doesn't work either
What did I get wrong? At a time, some months ago, Kodi was working fine on this machine too, so maybe the root cause of the issue is related to OSX upgrade or sth else (I tried all 17.3 to 17.6 kodi versions without success).

Forum browsing has helped me to identify a few similar problems from other users apparently, but I did not find any good solution so far.
Anyone with a suggestion?

Thanks!
A debug log (wiki) is needed for investigation
Apologies, this is where I should have started... Here it is.
Thanks!
Not a single error in that log file - did you even do anything that you wrote in your first post during that log session?
Thanks for checking that. Yes, I activated logging mode, then tried to add sources in different ways, even got that error message, and then I searched for the link I posted here.
I'll be checking the procedure again tonight and posting another link.
Back again... So i have been following these instructions, from step 2
Here is the log.

I am not sure you will find anything fishy in it, because the issue I have is that I just can't create media sources, but the process of doing it doesn't necessarily generate an error message It's like Kodi is blind when I try to add media sources which are on my network, and i have no other options that to go back.
When I go to Settings / File Manager / Add source / Browse / Zeroconf browser; i can see 2 options: LIBREELEC (SAMBA) and LibreELEC (SFTP). The Enter/Return key is like inactive when i try to select one of these alternatives.
Same path, but with the Windows network (SMB) this time: I see nothing, no options to select. On my Win 10 machines, I normally have WORKGROUP here and then my other machines connected to my network as part of it.
Network files system now: same story, not even possible to enter into that option.

So, not sure you will be seeing anything in the log related to the attempts of today (interested to know), but if not, has anyone a suggestion?

thanks
well, ok, i am back after a few days and since last post I took the time to do a fresh reinstall of my MacBook Pro. Sadly, i am still stuck in the situation described above.
I tried to enter my HTPC address manually as network location, and what i get now is a message "operation timed out"... Anyone can help? thanks
Ok so I'll be continuing the monologue [emoji848]

I took the time today to go back in time and to reinstall some old osx versions, starting from mountain lion and none of them allowed me to get kodi find network shares... now time machine is bringing high Sierra back to the MacBook.

Since none of my attempts with different osx and kodi version where successful, I came to believe the root cause of the issue is somewhere else, and I start to suspect it is with my Asus rt-ac66u router. I installed kodi on 2 android devices as well and I noticed the same issues as with the Mac. So I realize network share issues happen with all devices connected wirelessly to my network.

I did some googling and found 2 interesting read: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2323358 and http://steve.maraspin.net/blog/p/781/asu...2016/11/05

One of the comments on the second link point to a user case similar to mine, with libreelec on one end, so I might be on to something here. But the thing is that I am not osx nor android wizard, so if anyone could guide me in the steps which are indicated in these sites for Ubuntu/ Linux mint (if I got that right), I would be eternally greatful [emoji16]

Thanks!
I had the same problem with High Sierra. Try this, in Firewall settings -> Firewall Options
-> Allow connections to/fro for Kodi
-> disable the Stealth Mode
(2018-05-17, 20:07)Davinc.Cnivad Wrote: [ -> ]I had the same problem with High Sierra. Try this, in Firewall settings -> Firewall Options
-> Allow connections to/fro for Kodi
-> disable the Stealth Mode
 Thanks, and apologies for late feedback. My MacBook is already configured as per your suggestions, so it must be something else then. Thanks anyway