Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: User permissions advanced settings file
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been searching the answer for days at no avail, so hope someone here can give me the answer.

If you create a advanced settings file, which user permissions should the file be given so that Kodi can apply the settings inside correctly?
I would go with 644 or even 777.
(2018-01-11, 10:08)eagleeyetom Wrote: [ -> ]or even 777.
Please explain yourself. As far as I know, no settings in the AV.xml are ever overwritten by the Kodi application. So why would "everyone else in the world" need to have write permissions on that file?
I know that 777 is excessive and 644 should be more than fine, but in case of any problems, he or she can try it. It is not recommended though.
Why are we talking user permissions under Android anyway? The user who is running Kodi should be the one who creates the file, and then there's no issue.

Also that file is read at start-up by Kodi, but there's nothing written back to it afterwards. If things need changing or updating, then it's done manually outside of Kodi. It's a settings file, not a storage file.

It's only when we start getting add-ons etc which try to "simplify" that when we can get the file being written to whilst Kodi is running, but that's a different scenario and in most cases not something that should be done anyway for those who don't know what they're doing. And even in those cases the same comment above applies.

Or are we talking about some other OS or scenario here, at which point this thread may be in the wrong place.
(2018-01-11, 11:57)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Why are we talking user permissions under Android anyway? The user who is running Kodi should be the one who creates the file, and then there's no issue.

Also that file is read at start-up by Kodi, but there's nothing written back to it afterwards. If things need changing or updating, then it's done manually outside of Kodi. It's a settings file, not a storage file.

It's only when we start getting add-ons etc which try to "simplify" that when we can get the file being written to whilst Kodi is running, but that's a different scenario and in most cases not something that should be done anyway for those who don't know what they're doing. And even in those cases the same comment above applies.

Or are we talking about some other OS or scenario here, at which point this thread may be in the wrong place.
 We are talking about Android OS, but the point is that I create the advanced settings file on a Windows PC, since that is much easier to write, then copy it to the userdata folder on the Android box.

When you paste the file in place it get automatically 0660 permissions assigned.

The file contains GUI - network and cache settings, and I'm surprised that in the Kodi wiki there never is any mention about which user permissions the file should have.

So is 0660 the correct permissions for the advanced settings? I notice by the way that all XML files in the userdata folder have these permissions.