Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Black bars 'popping in' at sides during any video.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First time I've had this issue.

I put new mobo/cpu/ram into my htpc, fresh Windows install, latest drivers and program versions for everything.

When watch videos, i get pillarbox bars popping into the video frame. I made a quick video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DA4y1np...p=drivesdk

This is a slightly extreme example. Usually it doesnt pop in so far, so quickly. It's always symmetrical, and i can see no pattern to it.

It's not constant, but it's frequent. It occurs on all videos, no matter their resolution. Running fullscreen or borderless window, desktop and/or Kodi at different resolutions, Kodi reinstall, using Kodis' video calibration... None of it makes a difference. Im stumped. I've also noticed that even though the video calibration put the corners right to the screen edges, i always have slim pillarboxing.

Specs
Windows 7 Pro x64
2600k cpu
16gb ddr4
AMD 7970 GPU
Kodi 17.6
LG LED television with native 1920x1080 resolution connected via HDMI

The only thing different from before are the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I've never had this on any previous htpc rig.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Are you sure it's your PC doing the black bars, and not a case of poor video muxing/ripping?
Get us a debug log (wiki) for possible more video details.
Does your tv have a ‘overscan’ setting?
If so, what is it set to..?
Try opening your AMD Radeon Settings app. Go to the Video section, click Custom and make sure AMD Steady Video is turned OFF.

I think this steady video setting is designed to make shitty phone videos look better but in the process it makes all other videos look terrible.
(2018-01-12, 15:04)maxtherabbit Wrote: [ -> ]Try opening your AMD Radeon Settings app. Go to the Video section, click Custom and make sure AMD Steady Video is turned OFF.

I think this steady video setting is designed to make shitty phone videos look better but in the process it makes all other videos look terrible.

Yup, that did it. Thank you very much! I had figured that options was like the previous Video Smoothing option AMD drivers had before they decided to take a huge dump, and remove most video related settings.

Much appreciated.