Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: External subtitle over UPnP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hy Guys,

I am not able to stream external subtitles over UPNP. I have Kodi 17.6 on server(IntelNUC windows 10) and both client side.

• On Kodi UPnP server, services settings - UPNP / DLNA - set "look for external subtitles" is switched on.
  • The subtitle (.srt, .txt) file name is same as the movie's name and it's in the movie's folder 
  • Subtitle storage location: next to the video 
  • I have tried with several client, androit tv, windows 10 PC etc.. but same result.
  • Browse for subtitle options does not work. I can not find any subtitle in the folder with any client. 
  • If I try to play the movies from server side everything works okey.

It worked perfectly a couple months ago. I do not know when it stopped working after windows update or kodi update.

I do not even know where to start. I have checked all the setting and it seems okey.

Any input is very appreciated
Any help would be much appreciated.
That is wrong by nickr, they should work.
(2018-01-16, 21:19)NOGRP Wrote: [ -> ]It worked perfectly a couple months ago. I do not know when it stopped working after windows update or kodi update.

I do not even know where to start. I have checked all the setting and it seems okey.

Any input is very appreciated

It is previously worked then something must have changed on you system, so it would help a lot if you can narrow down exactly what changed in the period it stopped working. You mention Kodi up date? when was this? have you not used this function since that was done? what update was carried out?

Can you provide a debug log_file (wiki) of you playing something over UPnP that should external subs.
Thank you guys for the help.

Kodi supports external subtitles over UPnP.

I got it working. I deleted all my settings and than I reinstalled kodi.
Thread marked solved.
Hello

I can´t make it work. I am not able to stream external subtitles over  UPNP. I did everything you did but it is not working, I do try in different platform, android tv, android phone, etc. Can you confirm if Kodi can stream subtiles over UPNP, or give more information how you did it work
Hi,
I am also interested because I tried everything for my french subtitles (  .srt -> .fr.srt   for example).
I can see the subtitles in the repository, but can't play them.
thank you for your help,
Regards.
It's still possible that external subtitles are simply still not supported. It's the main reason I stopped using it years ago.
So, either you remux your subtitles into your videos or you choose a different file protocol.
Thx KloJum,
A different "Upnp / DLNA" protocol or a different different protocol ? could you share the solution you have found ? Smile
Different protocol as in file server protocol: SMB or NFS. I prefer the latter as I'm running Linux as a file server.
Of course you would have to setup a MySQL server as well if you plan to have metadata sharing across your Kodi devices.
(2019-01-15, 15:48)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Different protocol as in file server protocol: SMB or NFS. I prefer the latter as I'm running Linux as a file server.
Of course you would have to setup a MySQL server as well if you plan to have metadata sharing across your Kodi devices.
seems much more complicated than a simple upnp ^^
thanks for your help, I'll trying to study your advice.
I have a question about transcoding: How does Kodi send SUBTITLES through DLNA? This protocol DOES not support subtitles! Only option is transcoding, which then makes the selected subs hard coded.

This is not what is happening to me, when testing my videos with my PANASONIC TV! No other media server can send the SUBS to my TV!

Kodi is NOT transcoding, because i can select the subs and change their color and size on the TV DLNA player!!!

How is this??
(2019-05-12, 03:18)marcolopes Wrote: [ -> ]Only option is transcoding, which then makes the selected subs hard coded

No. You can also mux the subtitle into the video container file using tools like MKVtoolnix. Nothing will be hardcoded or transcoded. Kodi itself cannot transcode at all to begin with.

(BTW, yelling with bold text lines does not really help).

And lastly, please don't double-/crosspost the same question into different threads. Things can get very confusing that way.
Pages: 1 2