Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi won't start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, i'm new in kodi and raspberry Pi world.
i have just installed kodi but it won't start at all, i tried to reinstal, reboot without succes.
I've uploaded the log to pastebin, here is the link, hope someone can help me fix this and get kodi work.

Thanks, Simone.
I don't see any error on that Kodi log. How are you starting it ? And after it, what happens exactly ? Did you tried removing ~/.kodi dir so it starts with new and default configs ?
I tried starting whit term or via shortcut, the result it's the same, it won't start.
i tried remove the .Kodi folder with no results, I see a row with error, row 22

Is this the problem?
Thanks
Nope, there is no problem according to your kodi log. If Kodi doesn't start you shouldn't have a log, or at least, not that one without errors and if Kodi crashs you should have a crashlog at the home dir.
My guess is that somehow, Kodi is running but not on the screen you are looking at. You can check if Kodi is running with top.
Are you starting it via vnc?
I have activated the log manually, i'm using VNC to control my Pi, it's a problem?
So row 22 refer to what kind of error?
if i check with terminal kodi run for a while, i can see the Process and i can kill it, after 10 minutes i don't find the process anymore.
i try to delete .kodi again and see if i get another log.

Thanks!
> i'm using VNC to control my Pi, it's a problem?

Yes, kodi on pi doesn't use X for display, it's rendered directly on hardware framebuffer, thus it won't be "seen" by normal vnc.
It's possible to use dispmanx_vnc , but it's quite slow.
So if i start kodi directly from pi i should see it and configure for media streaming, correct?
Asavah post sums pretty much it. You can also use RealVNC and enable the "experimental direct capture mode" like explained here, it uses the same technic as dispmanx_vnc:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...ccess/vnc/

PS: Line 22 warning is because upower isn't installed, but it isn't needed for proper function anyway.
(2018-01-17, 16:26)simo_santo Wrote: [ -> ]So if i start kodi directly from pi i should see it and configure for media streaming, correct?
 You should see it on a display attached directly to the Pi. You can also start it remotely, like for example via VNC, but you will only see Kodi on the directly connected screen.
To see it on a remote screen, only with the ways explained above.
(2018-01-17, 14:44)simo_santo Wrote: [ -> ]I have activated the log manually, i'm using VNC to control my Pi, it's a problem?
Do you really need to have a remote view of what is happening inside Kodi? You could also use the mobile app KoRe as a remote and simply select what you want to see/hear.

Also, Raspbian is a full OS and with Kodi on top of it, it probably works. If you are still looking for a small Kodi solution, have a look at LibreELEC. It's has a good solution for having Kodi on a tiny Linux footprint, so it boots quicker and runs smoother too.
Kodi work with HDMI, thanks all for the support.
Now I'll check how to configure as media streaming.

Thanks all! See you soon!
Thread marked solved.
How to make autoloading kodi in Raspberry PI3, kodi on pi doesn't use X for display  RASPBIAN STRETCH LITE
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 4.9.78-v7+ #1084 SMP Thu Jan 25 18:05:49 GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux