Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu 17.10 + kodi + 4k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quick question. I’ve installed my NUC7i3BNK (500gb ssd, 8gb ram) with a fresh Ubuntu 17.10 install and kodi (17.6 Git:20121104-a9a7a20) from the team-xbmc ppa, and the ubuntu-restricted-addons. I noticed that I’m getting stuttering with playing back 4k 10bit HEVC files from the local SSD. 1080p content plays back just fine, no issues there. 

Linux tvod 4.13.0-25-generic #29-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 8 21:14:41 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux 

I’m not seeing anything glaringly obvious in the debug log that indicates what the issue is but I probably just don't know what I'm looking for. 

At first I thought this was down to the cheap HDMI cable I was using. After buying myself a ‘high speed’ HDMI cable I still got the stuttering. I booted with a live libre-elec environment just to try and help isolate what the problem is, and it played back my file flawlessly, apart from having to set the audio output. This is what’s making me think it’s Ubuntu related. 

I suspect libre-elec probably uses different video drivers or maybe it’s related to Ubuntu switching to Wayland. I also notice that Intel don’t have Ubuntu 17.10 drivers available on their website. 

My question is whether Ubuntu 17.10 is a supported platform at this time or if there are known issues playing back 4k content. 

Pastebin for kodi.log https://pastebin.com/0VcXQEH7 Thanks in advance.
Argh, apologies for the terrible formatting...
(2018-01-18, 17:50)davx8342 Wrote: [ -> ]I suspect libre-elec probably uses different video drivers
You could try to run one of Milhouse's 'bleeding edge' LibreELEC builds from a bootable USB stick, and see if something comes out different.
Sorry, have edited my original post to make it more clear. I had no stuttering at all with Libre-Elec.
try with a v18 nightly first
Ah! Doesn't stutter with the nightly. Thanks for your help!
Thread marked solved.