Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: H265 4k very Slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(2018-02-24, 17:56)maker3 Wrote: [ -> ]So it's much more efficient than FFmpeg.
It would be desirable to use built-in codec instead of FFmpeg for HEVC decoding

So HEVC playback on OG Xbox could be possible?

HEVC saves a lot of storage space that’s a big plus to use it.
Hi,
4k seems little better after last update (feb-25-18) the sound and video are better but unfortunately it's still lag and stuck.

It it just lagging for everyone, or this is just me?
Just got an update now running git:20180225-02cb21ec7d and 10bit hevc 1080 is running perfectly thanks devs
Hi,
I read too much info regarding 4k and Xbox Kodi here(8 bit, 10 bit, HDR, x264, x265, hvec...).
I think I didn't understand something.
After lastest kodi Xbox update, 4k movies should run flawless?

What is the status for last build, What is running flawless and what is not?

Please explain to the regular peoples that don't fimiliar with all the technical names.

Many Thanks.
(2018-02-26, 19:21)yanivk Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
I read too much info regarding 4k and Xbox Kodi here(8 bit, 10 bit, HDR, x264, x265, hvec...).
I think I didn't understand something.
After lastest kodi Xbox update, 4k movies should run flawless?

What is the status for last build, What is running flawless and what is not?

Please explain to the regular peoples that don't fimiliar with all the technical names.

Many Thanks.

I will try to explain although I’m not an expert in any means.

All those technical codes is just information and way of saying how the video file is built. There a several ways to make a video file.

4K and some 1080p video files use a new technique to keep the file sizes acceptable.

X264 is older and you could call this the standard.
X265 HEVC is newer and saves more space but not every player and hardware are ready to use this.

4K video is x265 HEVC and they are still working on it. So not every 4K file is going to play perfectly.

If you have any problems playing this files than you now know they are working on it.
Thanks!
(2018-02-27, 15:50)coolbas2000 Wrote: [ -> ]I will try to explain although I’m not an expert in any means.

All those technical codes is just information and way of saying how the video file is built. There a several ways to make a video file.

4K and some 1080p video files use a new technique to keep the file sizes acceptable.

X264 is older and you could call this the standard.
X265 HEVC is newer and saves more space but not every player and hardware are ready to use this.

4K video is x265 HEVC and they are still working on it. So not every 4K file is going to play perfectly.

If you have any problems playing this files than you now know they are working on it. 
 Codec is nothting to do with resolution

I've recently transcoded quite a lot of 480i SD material to HEVC\x265 just to make the file smaller

Its true that though HEVC is designed for 4K content distribution in mind

Dont forget VP9 is also a very popular streaming codec used by Youtube which is comparable with HEVC
H265 better with latest update for Xbox, but still lags and still decoded in software.
Hope it can get to smooth stream or add hw decode support.
Can anyone confirm if x264 4K movies should play smoothly? I have a few files in that format and playback is jerky and slow. Not sure if there's any settings I should adjust that would help.
(2018-03-24, 06:41)mattmcmhn Wrote: [ -> ]playback is jerky
 Jerky Boys!!

I've monitored everything during playback, network bandwidth, CPU usage, GPU usage. The only bottleneck I've seen is my CPU idle dropping to 0% while playing 4K H265 on a Pentium G3220 3GHz. Totally CPU bottleneck. The GPU was fairly idle. Too bad some of the processing power couldn't be shifted to the GPU, even though all I have is just onboard.
just curious is a Gigabit connection (1Gbe) enough for 4K streaming?
a 1Gbe connection will max out at 125MB/s.
How many Mega-bytes per second does a 4K video stream at? Thanks!
(I will check Netflix streaming rates and report back)
Hi Kodi guys
I know you work hard on Xbox version (and other platforms) and I appreciate it, thanks!

Now that the Xbox version feels very stable (to me at least),
Can you tell when 4k hvec 10bit will run smoothly?
Do you think it's something that will be in the next builds ? Is this something that you work on?

Thanks.
(2018-04-14, 15:35)nikey22 Wrote: [ -> ]just curious is a Gigabit connection (1Gbe) enough for 4K streaming?
a 1Gbe connection will max out at 125MB/s.
How many Mega-bytes per second does a 4K video stream at? Thanks!
(I will check Netflix streaming rates and report back)

Streaming is measured in bits, not bytes, and 1Gb is PLENTY.
If 1Gbps would not be enough for 4K streaming there wouldn’t be enough potentisl subsxribers to even bother. Netflix recommends 25Mbps (40 times less).
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7