Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio stutters for a few seconds after resume and chapter skip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all - I'm new here and to Kodi. Love it so far. I'm having an issue where the Atmos or DTS:X audio stutters for the first 1-3 seconds when the title resumes from pause, or right after a chapter skip. After this few seconds of hiccups/stuttering, the audio is perfectly smooth and works great with no further hiccups/stutters. Later if I do a chapter skip or a pause, then for the next few seconds following the resume of the playback the audio hiccups / stutters again. Rinse and repeat. If I don't pause and don't skip chapters then there are no hiccups.  During these hiccups/stutters the *video* is playing back perfectly, no video stuttering/hiccup/digital breakup at all. 

Setup: Nvida Shield TV (latest model) with 4K HDR playback, connected to a Marantz. The Shield gets its media over NFS from a disc drive connected to my PC. I'm using the latest Kodi release version from the Play store on the Nvidia (17.x).  I have a Dune Solo 4K which access its media over the same NFS connection, and also connected to the Marantz, and it never has this audio hiccup/stuttering at all (not even after pause or chapter skip).  I have the expert options on with all the advanced passthru types enabled (without this it would not pass Atmos or DTS:X). I cannot say if it is only with HD audio because that's all I've tried so far.

I have tried SPMC and it has the same issue, but with less stuttering/hiccuping. For instance it stutters one or twice in the first second or so and then is fine. Whereas Kodi stutters maybe 3-4 times for the first 1-3 seconds before it smooths out and is fine.

Can anyone tell me what settings I can try that may resolve this, or otherwise how to go about troubleshooting it faster? Thank you very much for your time.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2018-01-24, 18:06)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
 Sorry for the time it took to gather this, however I now have the log files you asked for.

Here's what I did to reproduce the issue while capturing the log.
- turned on debug logging and restarted Kodi
- chose the mkv title and hit play
- title started playing, and audio hiccups happened right from the start for a second or two, as described in the first post of this thread, video was perfectly smooth during the audio hiccups
- after the couple of seconds the audio hiccups stopped and was perfectly fine, and completely in sync (no lip sync issues)
- to make the issue happen again, after about 30 seconds of it playing back, I hit the chapter skip forward once
- as expected the issue returned for the next second or two after playback, then was fine, and I then shut down Kodi.

This seems to be the lines that appear in the log during the hiccups:
   WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: 1049.014287

This occurs in groups of itself twice (which correspond to the first time it happened during title start, and the 2nd time it happened after the chapter skip). Also I should clarify that there are no audio sync or lip sync issues at all during regular playback. As mentioned it works perfectly except for the hiccups right when starting a title or after any chapter skip or ff/rew.

The log is split into two parts:
  log part 1: https://pastebin.com/ZE570e2H
  log part 2: https://pastebin.com/rdfvibtr

Can you please help? Thank you.
Hello Kodi team - it has been about 1.5 months since I last heard back on the subject. I still have this issue, after having tried many of the v18 nightlies, including the latest (the issue also occurs with the release v17, and with SPMC but not as extensively).
Kodi currently does not have an android maintainer, therefore replies on subject / solutions might not happen in the near future.
(2018-04-04, 10:10)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi currently does not have an android maintainer, therefore replies on subject / solutions might not happen in the near future.
 What is meant by a "android maintainer"? Do you mean there is no person at kodi currently that has responsibility over support (or development) on the Android platform? I would think Android is its most popular platform. Is it possible to get support for this from the developer or perhaps another platform, as the issue could be occurring on other platforms too?
Hello Team Kodi,

I was hoping that maybe another developer could assist with this or provide some ways to help? Lines like this appear to be the main issue.

I think it is mostly related to the high end audio passthru options so I can have Atmos and DTS:X. What are typical types of things I can look at that may cause an issue? Streaming the exact same files over the same NFS network from the same setup but using another media player besides Kodi work just fine without the audio stuttering. I am pretty new to Kodi so I can not say when the issue started, but I have had it with the main v17 latest release build and all v18 nightlies I have tried which include the alpha build and builds from a few days ago.  Any suggestions would be great!!
(2018-04-04, 17:30)kaybird Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-04-04, 10:10)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi currently does not have an android maintainer, therefore replies on subject / solutions might not happen in the near future.
 What is meant by a "android maintainer"? Do you mean there is no person at kodi currently that has responsibility over support (or development) on the Android platform? I would think Android is its most popular platform. Is it possible to get support for this from the developer or perhaps another platform, as the issue could be occurring on other platforms too? 

Yes - I mean exactly that. Android is most popular by users only, but kodi devs are volunteers, working on kodi in their freetime and therefore choose the platform they like best.
(2018-02-07, 20:32)kaybird Wrote: [ -> ]This seems to be the lines that appear in the log during the hiccups:

i had this when the shield switched to software decoder, yesterday i tested a patch that maybe should fix this. patch is not commited yet, but i think it will be soon.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14057

now its commited, you can test it on next build
(2018-06-16, 11:38)m2k1980 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-07, 20:32)kaybird Wrote: [ -> ]This seems to be the lines that appear in the log during the hiccups:

i had this when the shield switched to software decoder, yesterday i tested a patch that maybe should fix this. patch is not commited yet, but i think it will be soon.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14057

now its commited, you can test it on next build 
 Great to hear it! Questions if you would be so kind please:

1. When you say "you can test it on next build" - I'm not sure when you wrote that, so I do not know which build exactly the fix is in and whether it is posted yet. Smile.  Currently the latest nightly listed is kodi-20180615-eea6e884-master-arm64-v8a.apk
2018-Jun-16 03:34 and I'm not sure what timezone that time listed is in. Is the fix in this build, or do I need to wait for the next build?

2. Can you please clarify which of the bugs specifically this fix is for (I've reported a few in this thread I think)? Is it for the main one that this thread was posted about - where the audio stutters for a few seconds after resuming from a pause, chapter skip, or when first starting?

3. The other Android issues we are seeing related to video stuttering. After 4K23.98 is playing back for a while (maybe like 45-60 minutes) the video sometimes will start dropping frames and it looks a little like a "strobe" effect.  The issue is resolved by pausing for a second and then resuming.  Is this something you can help with please?

4. There is also a issue where sometimes after starting a title, or after pausing, the audio is out of sync (lip sync problem).  Maybe about 0.5 seconds off. The issue can be resolved by pausing for a second and then resuming - sometimes you need to do that 2 or 3 times but then it is back perfectly in sync.

Thank you so much for your help. It has been many months since we have had any help with Android issues apparently because there is no maintainer, as it has been explained to us. So we think your help is amazing!! Big Grin
every thread has a timestamp, when someone wrote it. but it was today.

i answered here, because i saw  this log line from you "WARNING: ActiveAE - large audio sync error: 1049.014287" in this thread.
i got this many times, when the hardware decoder wasnt used.
i dont know for what you wrote this line here, but i know i got this when the shield used the software decoder instead of hardware decoder. i only wanted to help you, or inform you that maybe one of you problems is fixed, you have to try by yourself
download the newest build tomorow, it should be named kodi-20180616.....
I tried with kodi-20180617-2ee95ccf-master-arm64-v8a.apk and unfortunately it made no difference. Same issues as before. Are you sure that fix addresses the same issue I am having? Looking at the Github article you posted, it does not seem to be addressing the same thing. Or perhaps this fix is not yet in that nightly build?