Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Simultaneous Python 2 and Python 3 support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I haven't been around in a while so this question might be dumb but what's the plan for supporting Python 2 and Python 3 simultaneously? Is it necessary to write code that'll work on both or rely on an extension of our API that bridges them?

The original scripting engine code generation work was done to allow multiple simultaneous scripting languages at the same time. I had always wanted the scripting language bridge itself to be a binary add-on. I'm curious if anyone ever moved in that direction.

Thanks.

Jim
The big problem with Python 2 and Python 3 is that both interpreters can't exist in the same process AFAIK. So creating a Kodi release that would support Python 2 and 3 add-ons at the same time would have to move one interpreter into a different process. I think this was deemed to complicated, so there is a hard cut with one Kodi release.

Regards, Tobias
Ah, that would be a show stopper for sure.
Welcome back jfcarroll, you can check the Google Summer of Code project summary by @arpitn30 to see the basics

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2637648