Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Only 2.0 Audio from Kodi, Surround Sound from Netflix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Sony w/ Android TV, and Kodi Krypton installed.  It plays audio out via a Denon Receiver and the ARC.

For some reason, I can only get 2.0 audio out via the ARC to my Denon Receiver in Kodi (and YouTube) while Netflix sends surround..

I've been in and out of the Android settings, as well as Kodi's.  I also tried calling Sony support (useless, always, don't buy) and got to Tier 2, before eventually they guy gave up and said it was a problem with the non-Sony receiver (BS).  The Android has an Auto1, Auto2, and PCM setting for digital out, though I don't know if that only applies to ToSlink optical, or HDMI ARC as well.  I've tried them all.  In Kodi there are several different audio settings.  I suppose it's possible that I just haven't found the right combination.  The gist I get from various docs I've found is that passthrough is recommended, but it seems the Android audio subsystem may be passing 2.0.

While Netflix does correctly output Surround Sound, I don't think the problem is in Kodi, per se, because I have the same problem in the YouTube app.  It seems to be a problem on a per-app basis, with Netflix working and Kodi and YouTube not, so far.

Does anyone else have Kodi playing out of the ARC?

I have no idea what could be causing this.  Any help is much appreciated.
I use HDMI ARC from my TV to my Onkyo AVR and I can use 5.1 Dolby Digital and 5.1 DTS withouts problem.
Also Netflix and others App can work with 5.1 channels directly from the TV's App and also from my Shield connected to the TV.
So check your HDMI ARC configuration of your TV to check if you can enable Bitstream or Raw or Passthrough.

It's not a Kodi issue.
(2018-01-27, 04:16)FuriousGeorge Wrote: [ -> ]I have a Sony w/ Android TV, and Kodi Krypton installed.  It plays audio out via a Denon Receiver and the ARC.

For some reason, I can only get 2.0 audio out via the ARC to my Denon Receiver in Kodi (and YouTube) while Netflix sends surround..

I've been in and out of the Android settings, as well as Kodi's.  I also tried calling Sony support (useless, always, don't buy) and got to Tier 2, before eventually they guy gave up and said it was a problem with the non-Sony receiver (BS).  The Android has an Auto1, Auto2, and PCM setting for digital out, though I don't know if that only applies to ToSlink optical, or HDMI ARC as well.  I've tried them all.  In Kodi there are several different audio settings.  I suppose it's possible that I just haven't found the right combination.  The gist I get from various docs I've found is that passthrough is recommended, but it seems the Android audio subsystem may be passing 2.0.

While Netflix does correctly output Surround Sound, I don't think the problem is in Kodi, per se, because I have the same problem in the YouTube app.  It seems to be a problem on a per-app basis, with Netflix working and Kodi and YouTube not, so far.

I have exactly the same issue with Kodi on Sony Bravia 2018 TV. I've tried all options with 3 different settings in Sony output sound format, using ARC and tosslink. Tried it from laptop and got surround sound. Haven't tried Netflix yet. Can anyone help?
(2019-12-18, 15:11)guafawardiya Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-27, 04:16)FuriousGeorge Wrote: [ -> ]I have a Sony w/ Android TV, and Kodi Krypton installed.  It plays audio out via a Denon Receiver and the ARC.

I have exactly the same issue with Kodi on Sony Bravia 2018 TV. I've tried all options with 3 different settings in Sony output sound format, using ARC and tosslink. Tried it from laptop and got surround sound. Haven't tried Netflix yet. Can anyone help?

I never got this resolved. The Denon receiver died, I have an Onkyo now, which may work better, but my strategy is to use the Sony Android TV for as little as possible, so I have no idea.

Unrelated to Kodi, I'd also have issues where the ARC would pass through DTS from a verizon set top box, but not anything with an nVidia controller (e.g. laptops or PC).

I run the inputs through my receiver, and use the Sony Android TV for as little as possible, and that has been my solution.

On one hand, this means I'm not cutting cords, on the other hand it means that I dont have to complicate my life.