Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Nvidia Shield - Audio out of sync
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear users,

Im using the latest nightly build, but also have the problem with stable releases.
Many of my movies/tv shows need an off-set/delay around -0.250ms to be in sync.....what is causing this?

The delay option on the shield itself is set to 0ms, because then the bouncing ball is in sync with the bouncing noise.

Because i need to set the delay to -0.250ms i think im experiencing a slight judder/frame skip every couple of seconds/minutes in a serie/movie.
Is it a kodi setting which is causing this or what else could it be?

I just purchased a new receiver, but my previous one had the same issue so that wasnt it (didnt buy a new one because of this, dont worry Wink)...

My setup;

LG 65OLEDEF950V
Denon AVR-X6400H
Kef 5.1 speaker setup (Q900, Q600c, Q300 and Q400b)

Let me know if u need anything else, thanks in advance!
Mitch.
what are your audio settings in kodi? and in the shield? are you using cec?
Shield Settings:

- Resolution; 4K 59,940hz
- CEC TV ON/OFF = Off
- Audio Delay = 0ms
- HDMI Settings = 3840x2160 59,940Hz YUV 420 10-Bit Rec.2020
- Surround Sound = Auto
- Stereo Upmix = Off
- Fixed Volume = Off

Kodi Settings:

- Adjust Display Refresh Rate = Start/Stop
- Sync playback to display = Off
- Enable HQ Scalers = 20%
- Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec (Surface) = Off
- Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec = On
- Resolution = 3840x2160p
- Refresh Rate = 59.94
- Delay After change of refresh rate = 4,5 sec
- GUI Resolution limit - Unlimited
- Number of channels = 5.1
- Output Configuration = Best Match
- Maintain original volume on downmix = On
- Resample quality = High
- Keep audio device alive = Always
- Send low volume noise = On
- Allow Passthrough = On
- AC3, E-AC3, DTS, True-HD, DTS-HD = On
(2018-01-31, 22:30)Mitchlw Wrote: [ -> ]Dear users,

Im using the latest nightly build, but also have the problem with stable releases.
Many of my movies/tv shows need an off-set/delay around -0.250ms to be in sync.....what is causing this?

The delay option on the shield itself is set to 0ms, because then the bouncing ball is in sync with the bouncing noise.

Because i need to set the delay to -0.250ms i think im experiencing a slight judder/frame skip every couple of seconds/minutes in a serie/movie.
Is it a kodi setting which is causing this or what else could it be?

I just purchased a new receiver, but my previous one had the same issue so that wasnt it (didnt buy a new one because of this, dont worry Wink)...

My setup;

LG 65OLEDEF950V
Denon AVR-X6400H
Kef 5.1 speaker setup (Q900, Q600c, Q300 and Q400b)

Let me know if u need anything else, thanks in advance!
Mitch.
It's quite "normal".
Also I, on my Nvidia Shield, need to sync audio/video for all movies (audio is delayed respect to the video). I think there is an "embedded" delay in Kodi.
Anyway there is a fast and efficient solution.
You can specify a "global" Audio Offset by using the "advancedsettings.xml" file.

Create a text file (that will be a xml file)
Put that inside:

Code:

<advancedsettings>
  <video>
      <latency>
          <delay>-250</delay> 
     </latency>
  </video>
</advancedsettings>

Save that text file and give it the name "advancedsettings.xml" (not the name "advancedsettings.xml.txt").
Copy that file into the Shield to the path "Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/".

Starting from now all the contents that will go to put in play on Kodi will have the audio synched to video. "-250" is the values in milliseconds of the Audio offset, it means the audio will be ahead of the video of 250 milliseconds.
If you set a value without "-" the audio will be poostponed (delayed) respect to the video.

More info: http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.xml
http://kodi.wiki/view/Userdata

Enjoy.
The issue isnt that there is a audio delay.....but the judder/frame skip every couple of minutes and if this is happening because of the audio delay.....

On my former HTPC (older computer with a i3, 16GB, Windows 7) i didnt experience this problem.....so i would like to know if this is a setting or hardware which is causing this?
You wrote: "Many of my movies/tv shows need an off-set/delay around -0.250ms to be in sync.....what is causing this?"
So I understood there is a global out-of-sync.
How did your setup? I mean the Shield is connected to AVR and AVR to TV? Or Shield is connected to TV and TV to AVR?
Shield -> Avr -> TV....

I do receive my new HDMI 2.1 cables today...now working with 1.4 but dont think that will change that much....
I did read the 2.0-2.1 HDMI cables perform better with YUV 420 10-Bit Rec.2020.....so im curious since thats my resolution/setting.
Yes, uses all newest HDMI cables (all chain) and retry.
(2018-02-01, 17:54)outcave Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, uses all newest HDMI cables (all chain) and retry.
 I will and will report back, thanks for the replies so far. Appreciate it!
I didnt think a new HDMI cable would have such an impact but it really seems like the Audio is in Sync now.
I got the latest Belkin Ultra High Speed (up to 48Gbp/s, HDR and Dolby Vision) HDMI cables; https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HLL52...i-cable-2m
Setup is now; Shield -> New cable -> AVR -> New cable -> TV.

I knew the TV and AVR both had HDMI 2.0a ports but always thought HDMI 1.4 would do the job.

I set the audio delay back to 0 instead of -0.250 and 4 movies i tested seems to be in Sync.

I didnt test long enough to find out if there is still a stutter/frameskip from time to time so i will check that out.
So your problem has been solved by using these new high speed HDMI cables? I am having the same issue (250 ms) using Kodi / Shield / Receiver. Only listening to 1080p movies and shows, using cheap Amazon HDMI cables.
(2018-03-19, 03:30)vingeance Wrote: [ -> ]So your problem has been solved by using these new high speed HDMI cables? I am having the same issue (250 ms) using Kodi / Shield / Receiver. Only listening to 1080p movies and shows, using cheap Amazon HDMI cables.
 If you have this delay you can solve by specify a "global" Audio Offset by using the "advancedsettings.xml" file. Read this: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2698828
I have a 2-meter cable to my TV and sync is perfect, I have a 8-meter cable to my projector (same make) and it's out by 150ms and have to adjust for all movies. Both come from the same Shield and same AVR.
(2018-03-19, 13:01)T800 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a 2-meter cable to my TV and sync is perfect, I have a 8-meter cable to my projector (same make) and it's out by 150ms and have to adjust for all movies. Both come from the same Shield and same AVR.
The sync delay depend on your setup.
Anyway, for those have that issue, there is the way to solve it via advancedsettings.xml.
I forgot to mention it happens with Dolby, not DTS. Anyway most of my movies are Dolby. I guess I just have to change the delay manually when DTS. Thanks for your suggestion.
Pages: 1 2