Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Freezing and problems when trying to skip chapters in mkv playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi - I am using a nightly build from a week ago (18.0-ALPHA1 Git:20180128-f094478) on an Nvidia Shield TV and having problems with Kodi temporarily freezing when I try to skip some chapters on mkv playback. This happens only with some chapters, and only on some mkv titles. On others it seems to chapter skip fine.

Here's a scenario:

- start mkv playback, title plays back just fine
- if I do not touch chapter skip forward/back, title will play flawlessly, even as it goes from chapter to chapter
- if I try to skip forward, the video frame will jump to the right image but playback freezes and the timestamp for the current playback goes to 0:00:00. If I chapter skip again and again then it may play on another chapter just fine, but always occurs on the same chapters. If I hit Stop while it is frozen it takes about 30 seconds to unfreeze and return to Kodi menu. 
- example, playback title is fine. At the 2 minute mark (or whenever) I skip to next chapter. Video image changes to first frame in that chapter but playback freezes, and the timestamp for the location of playback goes to 0:00:00 even though it should be something like 0:07:15. If I hit chapter skip again it updates to the next chapters frame and then freezes. If I hit skip again it may start playing that chapter back just fine, although sometimes without any audio (in which case I hit stop and then restart the title and all is fine again, until I try to chapter skip again).

With some titles the problem does not seem to occur. With other titles it occurs, but only on some chapters, and it is consistent. So for instance title 1 may never have any issues with chapter skipping. But title 2 will have a consistent issue when skipping to chapters 2, 3, 7, and 10 but all other chapters are fine. And always the same chapters problematic for that title. Issue happens when you skip forward to the chapter or back to the chapter.

Note that if I use the bookmark feature, the thumbnails for all the bookmarks are properly generated, however when navigating using the bookmark I will get the same exact freeze/issue as if I chapter skipped to it.

I reproduced the issue following these steps:
  - turned on debug logging and restarted Kodi
  - starting playback of a problematic title
  - skipping to chapter 2 where the issue occurred, exited Kodi.

Please see the debug logs, split into two parts:
   debug log part 1: https://pastebin.com/L3s0HC35
   debug log part 2: https://pastebin.com/0vTdLiPX

Can you please let me know how to resolve it? Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Can't help but I'm just adding a 'me too' here,  18 nightly on Linux. Only seen it on MKV files, and as you say, it's not every MKV.

I also tested the latest stable build (17.6) and have the same problem there.
(2018-02-04, 21:53)retro83 Wrote: [ -> ]Can't help but I'm just adding a 'me too' here,  18 nightly on Linux. Only seen it on MKV files, and as you say, it's not every MKV.

I also tested the latest stable build (17.6) and have the same problem there.
 Great, thanks for the feedback.  Can you please capture and post the debug logs for the developers? With two sets of logs (yours and mine) that should help them a lot to see the similarities and help lead them to a fix. See this post here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2699489 for instructions on how to capture a debug log please (that thread is for an unrelated matter, but the instructions to get the log are the same).

Yes I should add the issue also happens on Kodi v17.6 for me too.
Team Kodi - can we please get some help and feedback with this issue?
I too have been encountering issues with the skip forward. Doesn't happen with all MKV files but always happens with same MKV files. I'm running the latest nightly build (11/2/18) on a Shield TV Pro. Gigabit wired network to Windows 10 machine shares. Have tried SMB 3 and NFS (HaneWin). I've been reading through the forum for like issue and finally 50 pages in I found this post. Was a fix ever found?
I've been asking for nearly a year about how to resolve this issue, along with some other issues related to audio stuttering and strobe-like frame rate issues that can start periodically. Unfortunately I have been told that there is no Android maintainer and therefore the issues have not been able to be addressed. I really like Kodi but gave up and switched to a more reliable alternative solution for my setup. I don't like it as much, but it's playback is flawless (none of the issues I have with Kodi are present there). Hopefully these issues will eventually get fixed so I can use Kodi again in the future.
(2018-11-05, 18:04)kaybird Wrote: [ -> ]I really like Kodi but gave up and switched to a more reliable alternative solution for my setup. I don't like it as much, but it's playback is flawless (none of the issues I have with Kodi are present there).
Care to inform us what your solution is?
And yes, there is an Android maintainer opening at Kodi. Good quality video coders are hard to find, unfortunately.
Meanwhile over in Linux / CoreELEC - Kodi Leia land there is this....

kodi-le-034-chapter-seek-fix.patch
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/15716
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/15719

Problem should be fixed in tomorrow nightly build. If it so, thread should marked as solved. Thank you.
Tested, it's OK, issue solved.
Please mark this thread as solved.