Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Unable to update to Kodi 17 Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have what I've seen described in this forum as "cheap Chinese junk" (sorry 'bout that) It's an X96 unit with Kodi 16.1 pre-installed.

I'm still a newbie but have done a lot of reading and exploration in an attempt to educate myself. I probably don't need to update to Kodi 17 because I'm primarily using the Android box to view videos that I have stored on a connected HDD. However as part of my education, I'm investigation how I might use Kodi. My research seems to indicate that it is a good idea to update to Kodi 17. 

As suggested, I went to Google Play to get Kodi 17 but the only options shown are "Uninstall" and "Open". I don't see an "install" or "upgrade" option. When I click "Open", it merely opens Kodi. I'm wondering why this happens.

Is it because my installed Kodi 16.1 is a customized version that can't be upgraded?
If so, do I need to uninstall Kodi 16 then install 17?
If not, is there something else that I need to do? (I am using the Confluence skin)
I've read about "side loading". I'm not positive what this means but I think that it means downloading the installation file and running it from the Android file manager. Is this correct and will this upgrade Kodi 16 without the need to uninstall and reinstall?
It could be a custom version, but more likely due to the version of android the box runs. If it's KitKat or lower (anything less than android 5 basically) then you are limited to Kodi 16.1 (Jarvis) or below. See the link below for more details.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=306038
The box is using Android 6.01
(2018-02-05, 18:07)dsscottage Wrote: [ -> ]Is it because my installed Kodi 16.1 is a customized version that can't be upgraded?
Probably, a log file should give us the relevant info.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Sorry I don't mean any disrespect or mean to be a problem but maybe I'm one of those "conspiracy theory" people.

I've done a little searching on the process suggested and it looks like the debug post to https://paste.ubuntu.com/ results in the complete log file being posted to Ubuntu Paste and I don't see any way to edit the log to remove any personal info or passwords or to delete the post.

I'm just not comfortable with that.

If this means that I'll have to stick with Kodi 16, I'll live with that. After all, it's not that important to my main usage of this Andriod box. This was mainly an educational process.

Again, no disrespect intended.
Why don't you just uninstall Kodi and try installing again?
Passwords are automatically removed.

But the debug log (wiki) is just a text file - see the advanced part of the wiki link for where to find it on your device. You can then use a text editor to review it, and afterwards upload it to a PasteBin site manually.

Without it, is difficult to assist any further so as you say you may be better staying on Jarvis unless you want to try uninstalling and reinstalling and risk the latter not working.
Careful when saying that about passwords. Might not be completely done in v16 yet.
True, we are going back a bit...

But a text editor review would allow things to be sanitised of anything sensitive.
It's always good practice to check the log yourself before uploading, not only to make sure all personal information is removed but even to the untrained eye it might show you what causes the trouble.
You could also try the apk route, either by downloading from our download page and sideloading it/ installing it (you will need to temporarily enable third party sources in android if it isn't already)or by using the updater addon . In almost all cases you want the armv7a 32 bit version.

Both use our mirrors to grab the apk to give the current 17.6 version.
(2018-02-05, 22:56)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]You could also try the apk route, either by downloading from our download page and sideloading it/ installing it (you will need to temporarily enable third party sources in android if it isn't already)or by using the updater addon . In almost all cases you want the armv7a 32 bit version.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've read a little about sideloading and I'm comfortable attempting it. However, one last question for which I have been unable to find the answer. If I side load without uninstalling Jarvis, will the side load simply update Kodi or is it necessary to uninstall and install?
(2018-02-06, 17:03)dsscottage Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-05, 22:56)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]You could also try the apk route, either by downloading from our download page and sideloading it/ installing it (you will need to temporarily enable third party sources in android if it isn't already)or by using the updater addon . In almost all cases you want the armv7a 32 bit version.

Thank you for the suggestion. I've read a little about sideloading and I'm comfortable attempting it. However, one last question for which I have been unable to find the answer. If I side load without uninstalling Jarvis, will the side load simply update Kodi or is it necessary to uninstall and install? 
If there previous version is also one made by us you can simply upgrade and all should just keep working (hopefully).
If you cannot install it due to signature mismatch (not compiled by us) you will need to uninstall the current version and then install our version.
There is a way using adb to keep the old data and uninstall current and then install the new one however that requires a little more action from your side.