Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi on Nvidia shield unable to find files that Plex and PC version of KODI can see
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been a long time HTPC user and am about to make the switch to an Nvidia Shield. All of my files are currently being shared from a separate server running windows 7, using an smb share.
 I was able to get Kodi installed on the nvidia shield, and add the shared folders, with some difficulty. The issue was that I could not browse for the SMB directories, and had to enter each one manually.
 The current issue is that after doing all of the scanning of movies, a large portion of them (~10%) are not detected by the scraper. The ones that are detected function normally and play without incident. I have tried using both the tmdb scraper and universal scraper. When I go to look at the file directory within kodi, it looks like it detects the folder, but it fails to detect the file within the folder.
 My file system is based on folders with the name of the movie (and year), and the underlying file is any old name. All of the files are .mkv files. I have not found any trend or anything that they seem to have in common. 
 What seems to be unusual is that the PC version of KODI has no difficulty whatsoever in seeing these files. Neither does plex, and nor do any of the other computers that are able to see the shares over the internet. It is very mysterious and I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this selective file recognition issue.

Thanks for your help!

*EDIT*
Here is the debug log link. 

https://paste.ubuntu.com/26541362
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
(2018-02-08, 07:06)Split-S Wrote: [ -> ] My file system is based on folders with the name of the movie (and year), and the underlying file is any old name. 
 This is most likely your problem. The folder name doesn't really matter, it is more the name of the file that matters. Try re-naming one of your missing movies (the actual file), to the moviename(year).mkv, then update your library, and see if the movie shows up (it should).

Might also want to read up on the Wiki, about naming...
https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies
That is incorrect. You can perfectly just rely on folder name alone as long as correctly set the source to use it
Ok, I found the solution to this, in case someone else runs across the same issue. Because of the large amount of files, I have numerous drives being pooled by DriveBender. Regardless, some of the files ended up with different owners, and so as a result the folders containing the files were being shared but not the files themselves. Interestingly, this did not affect the windows machines that were able to see the files. Ultimately, I reset the ownership of all of the files, and that seemed to fix the problem. 

That is to say, this was an issue with smb sharing from my server, and not with Kodi itself. 

Thank you all for your help.