Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for Linux under X-DSL on XBOX?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently installed XBMC on an XBox that I bought on eBay for the express purpose of modifying it. Having heard of XBMC and being something of a media-center enthusiast, I decided it would be a very cost-effective option.

I have encountered one or two hurdles, however. The biggest problem that I have with the system is its lack of SSH support. I use ssh all around my network and I am really upset that I cannot find a decent way of managing XBMC remotely. Sure, there's the ftp, but that's limited only to file transfers (as the name implies).

So, I've been thinking: I know there's an XBMC for Linux, and I know there's a pretty well-respected distro of DSL for the XBox, how would they work together? More to the point - how would XBMC work UNDER X-DSL, and not with XBMC as the dashboard and X-DSL as an app?

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

-Mike
It would completely, utterly, suck. As an estimate, I'd say it'd struggle to render at 1fps (and that's if you can even get it to run).

I fail to see why you need ssh to "manage" xbmc on your xbox - all you need to do is dump new versions of xbmc on it every now and then, afterall.

If you want to operate xbmc remotely, then use the web interface, or use site commands over ftp etc.
Upon further investigation, I'm inclined to agree with you. I think the terminal ftp server will work ok, but it does really suck that I'm not able to mount shares.

Anyway, thanks for replying.

-Mike