Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Possible to force Kodi to cache live IPTV streams?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Kodi do not cache IPTV streams. Is it possible to force it to do that? I guess i will receive the live streams with delay of few seconds or minutes but i am ok with that.
HOW-TO:Modify the video cache - Official Kodi Wiki It's likely that the source is the issue.

This might be a more appropriate forum. https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=215

[Edit] Moving this thread to IPTV Simple Client
I know how to modify the video cache size but my question is about the streams that for some reason Kodi do not cache.
Which streams are those exactly?
Every IPTV stream i have tried i don't see Kodi caching it. The codec info overlay shows 0 for cache and the grey progress bar on the player do not move forward. So, i want to know is Kodi suppose to cache every stream or some streams it is unable to? I have read somewhere that depend on the streaming server settings or the protocol used Kodi might not be able to cache the stream. Is that true?
A live stream is not a file though, are you expecting it to cache 500MB of something that doesn't yet exist? I don't understand the question.
It's the word cache being confused with the word buffer here?

Or are you basically looking to temporarily download and store the stream (or part of it) for later re-use?
(2018-02-08, 21:15)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]It's the word cache being confused with the word buffer here?
 Isn't cache related to buffering? If the cache is filled, for example to 50mb, and the IPTV stream become intermittent for short time this will not result in buffering because Kodi will use the existing cache. I think the ace streams work in a similar way.
(2018-02-08, 21:08)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]A live stream is not a file though, are you expecting it to cache 500MB of something that doesn't yet exist? I don't understand the question.
 I don't expect to cache to 500mb, but 20-40mb will be better than 0mb.
It can't cache what doesn't yet exist, you could try pressing the Pause button but in my experience that doesn't usually work too well.
(2018-02-08, 22:21)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]It can't cache what doesn't yet exist, you could try pressing the Pause button but in my experience that doesn't usually work too well.
I have tested this many times, pressing the Pause button on IPTV streams, but never saw cache start filling up. Did you have different experience? My question is only for IPTV streams.
(2018-02-09, 09:39)emil_6783 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-02-08, 22:21)FXB78 Wrote: [ -> ]It can't cache what doesn't yet exist, you could try pressing the Pause button but in my experience that doesn't usually work too well.
I have tested this many times, pressing the Pause button on IPTV streams, but never saw cache start filling up. Did you have different experience? My question is only for IPTV streams. 
Nope, it usually bombs out and dies. I don't think IPTV Simple Client will work in the way you want, you'd have to use a proper backend with TVHeadend/NextPVR etc.
it so difficult understand that kind of streams like that can't be cached?
Of course any stream of digital data can be cached or buffered.
(2018-02-10, 00:08)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]Of course any stream of digital data can be cached or buffered.
 Then why Kodi do not cache some IPTV streams? Even if you hit Pause button the cache do not start filling up but stays 0.
Pages: 1 2