Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Pixelation with 4.14.x vs flawless with 4.9.x on Ubuntu 17.10
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Kodi v17.6

So in short - long time XMBC / KODI fanatic. I found that I'm unable to upgrade the linux kernel on my primary KODI server from 4.9.x to 4.14.x ...

Using 4.9.x and my various Kodi settings (mostly default) all videos play properly on a Skylake based machine (using the Intel firmware from https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/firmware ) running Ubuntu 17.10.

When I upgrade the kernel to 4.14.x I get massive pixelation on video playback within Kodi.

By any chance, has anyone run into something similar and have an idea of where I might start to look? Ordinarily, I understand Kodi logs are the first step / helpful but as this is likely caused outside of Kodi itself I'm at a bit of a loss where to start. It is also a bit difficult to jump between proper kernel versions on the box without bringing down other roles on the box.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
(2018-02-09, 14:26)javamarket Wrote: [ -> ]Ordinarily, I understand Kodi logs are the first step / helpful but as this is likely caused outside of Kodi itself I'm at a bit of a loss where to start.
We have a new expert in our midst... Smile

Just get us a debug log (wiki) (debug enabled, add components where necessary), so we can at least see what type of video formats you have pixelation problems with: SD/HD/4K,h264/h265,HDR,8 or 10bit... Just to mention a few.
(2018-02-09, 14:42)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]We have a new expert in our midst... Smile
  ... and I am instantly reminded why after all these years I avoid the Kodi forums at almost all costs ... adolescent sarcasm and a lack of reading comprehension. 
javamarket Wrote:By any chance, has anyone run into something similar
just a question if others have experienced issues of this nature during a kernel upgrade and using Kodi. But feel free to march on your road of arrogance oh moderator ... I'll not be back.
@javamarket 

I guess there was no sarcasm. Just a bit of humor. So please don´t take it too serious. The request for a logfile is still valid in that case as we will need information about what you are actually doing with kodi. either you provide it and will get some help, or you don´t and you won´t get some help. It´s easy as that
There is a reason why we ask for log files, how stupid it may sound. And perhaps humor is not your best character trait, but getting all worked up over a simple comment is the other extreme.