Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: adding/adiministring kodi addons and profile through remote scripting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
We are introducing android tv box to our internet customers, preinstalling kodi 17.x as a default app along with other apps.
In kodi we want to install addons from remote also want to add user and assign profile from remote and control.
Is there any scripts/api to control over the top  apply patches, add/remote addons, configure profile and assign it to a user from our centralized servers.
I am new to kodi, hence not familiar about scripting. Is there any team who can help us in this concept.
Please do let me know if there is a way to accomplish the above task.

Thanks in advance
Arun
Hello arunraobbnl

I have passed your message on, but I have to admit I have serious concern with your intentions...

In what situation, and why, would you need to access a customers media box, create a profile and take control of it?

Maybe you can provide a lot more detail on exactly what you are setting up. A link to your company's website will be a good start.
In short: do it via ssh / vpn and ask your customer's beforehand and make it opt-in - not opt-out. This is not north korea.
please also note that if you pre-install Kodi along with customizations (like pre-installed add-ons, different skin etc) which it sounds like you're going to do (add-on to manage Kodi from remote, ...) you have to ask for permission to use our trademarked name (which likely will not be granted given these changes) or you have to rebrand Kodi (not just changing skin files, a proper rebrand and compile it yourself)! If you rebrand and commercialize Kodi, please don't become a leech and keep using our mirror infrastructure but instead create your own add-on repository. Needless to say that the support burden will also be on your shoulders when you rebrand.

edit:
also keep in mind that you have to provide the source code of your rebranded Kodi version and add-ons
Hello arunraobbnl

I have passed your message on, but I have to admit I have serious concern with your intentions...
In what situation, and why, would you need to access a customers media box, create a profile and take control of it?
Maybe you can provide a lot more detail on exactly what you are setting up. A link to your company's website will be a good start.

Ans: I am totally with you in reference to your concern. Here is the story as to who I am,what i am trying to achieve and why the script.
We are an isp here in Bangalore,India.Since the internet penetration has gone leaps and bounds so is the concern of hacking. BBNL is an open source team providing quality internet to its customers and this is 100% true. BBNL was/is started only for 2 reasons,  1) Education 2)introducing sports through videos, this we feel will help the economy to grown in multi folds. In rural our people cannot afford much high end laptops/desktops for watching high definition videos, We are seeing most of the residences have flat panel tv's with hdmi sockets. This brought us to the research of a box which can provide almost all the features and make the tv itself as the display unit and make it a universal display unit. Hence the birth of Android box in BBNL.
The box is an octacore with 2 gb ram 8 gb space,a built in camera,a remote with mic for voice communication, the cpu can play a 4K video too, also planning to provide parental control option so that kids can use the right content apps like khan academy,kids youtube and right academy contents which are available for free and tested by us so that it does not stop/hang the box.
We are leasing the box to our customers so that we can apply patches/bug fixes etc through OTT. 
Since people do hack or do install some unknown or harmful apps which might mess up the box,we want to make sure the control of the O/S is in our hands. We have our own OTT server as of now being tested in order to rollback the os or apply new patches/apps etc. In rural most of them are not aware of which app or which is the right content, without knowing they might install a wrong one and it might mess up the box and this kind of issues will definitely be seen and we will be a total mess. One example i can provide, any new budding hacker/experimental person could go to setting of the android and try to configure something and mess up the box and put the blame on the service provider that the box provided is faulty. This i have been seeing when we deploy fiber to the home infrastructure. Hence want to be cautious.
In kodi I see there are other options where in customers will be able to install add ons which are not supported by, this might cause an issue on our service side we are service providers and we are supposed to following strict guide lines of the government.
Hence forth I am looking for a script mechanism so that the right skin/app/addon is installed and not misused by the customers.
my website is bbnl.co.in & internetse.shiksha
I am ready to sign an nda/contract for not violating any code which is harmful for kodi
Thanks
Arun