Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ryzen APUs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone using one of the new Ryzen APUs (either desktop or mobile) with Linux and willing to give some commentary about how it works, caveats, etc?

I have a (much) older HTPC running what started out as a XBMCbuntu distro and has been upgraded through many versions of Kodi since.  I'm just looking to play local H.264 and H.265 content ripped/encoded from my library with (hopefully) passthru audio and am looking to build a new HTPC.
You need latest and greatest of everything: kernel, mesa head and even vaapi 1.1pre including some pending kodi patches to support video decoding (Edit: if you want HEVC 8 and 10 bit hw decoding support). If not pretty new kernel, new mesa, but then you are limited to using Xorg and VDPAU.
If I don't need/want HEVC 8 (ATM) or 10 bit HW decoding what's the state?  I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort now or if I need to wait a few months for things to settle down.  My collection is (currently!) H.265 free running and running on an 800MHz Athlon 5350 and playback is fine up through some pretty high bit rate content (including some internet found H.265 test content with crazy bitrates).  If I can upgrade the HW now and still play my existing content and then start phasing in new libraries/kernel/etc as they get released I'd call that a win.
You need to ask someone else. Never buy new hardware if your current hardware does the job. As you don't need / want HEVC - the h265 sample you found on the internet is not a problem for you.
I'm buying new hardware for (soonish) future needs/desires and the desire to replace my 6 year old box with something quieter, more efficient, etc.

I don't need HEVC right now, but I do want to start using it soonish.  The setting I use on my content tend to be very high quality compared to the default settings/setups in Handbrake and tend to push the machine a fair amount.  As I said my existing machine can play a fair amount of content but what I didn't mention is the stress/heat/noise it does doing it.  I'm looking for a new box that's quieter .