Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Nearest Neighbor Up-Scaling !!HELP!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If you go into...
Video > Playback > Turn off "Allow Hardware Acceleration - DXVA2"
Render Method : "Software"

Then "Nearest Neighbor" is added as a "Video Scaling Method"
Nearest Neighbor takes a 1920x1080 bluray and while playing out 3840x2160 (Which is exactly double) it just takes 1 pixel and duplicates it onto 4 pixels
...There is no processing to make the video look any worse or "BETTER"...
However none of the view modes use this method properly because the first video 588x264 could fit into my 1280x1024 screen twice leaving 52 pixels extra on both sides but instead it keeps stretching (I have no idea how that's even possible using nearest neighbor) past the point of perfect mapping to fill the entire screen.
2 Examples of failure

I can still...
use "original size" view mode for videos that can't even double like the 2nd example
...and... maybe calculate the zoom for the rest and drag it below 1.00 (since it's already filling the entire screen) until those number of pixels are on both sides (for every single video!) and still just hope it's truly perfect 1:2 mapping

BUT PLEASE, IF SOMEONE KNOWS WHAT I'M DOING WRONG LET ME KNOW
Quote:Nearest Neighbor takes a 1920x1080 bluray and while playing out 3840x2160 (Which is exactly double)
Actually, a 4K frame is 4 times a FullHD frame.

Also, writing things like "!!HELP!!" is not really necessary here. Unless you trapped somewhere in a burning house.
We try to help where we can.

To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
In 4 different versions of kodi (including the newest) with a fresh install it does this. It appears to function as intended... however useless that is.

Any advice from anyone would be helpful.
Again I'm searching for a solution WITHIN kodi.
Thanks
Ehh.. Which part of "To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log" is unclear to you?

Unfortunately we do NOT have a crystal ball to figure out what your hardware setup looks like, and which other internals on your Kodi setup are happening.
Shouting in bold text will not speed up the help process.
It is clear you can't help me. Please stop getting me excited with all the replies lol
I've also tried on 3 different computers with fresh installs.
This is the second time I've admitted this is how kodi is intended to function.
I proceeded to ask for anyone who knows a workaround within kodi.
Now I too will ask again Wink Does anyone know a workaround WITHIN kodi?