Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot see movies on second internal drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Linux 16.04, kodi17.6 just installed. My computer has ssd where kodi is installed and a second internal 4tb drive with a bunch of movies. I cannot seem to find a way to navigate to that 4tb drive to see its contents. I know it must be something dumb i am doing but i have tried every combination of browsing and navigating ang cannot see that drive. Something simple i hope. Thanks
Dumb are the questions that have not been asked. Smile

Let's start with the drive at hand. Which disk format does it have? Is it is a drive coming from a Windows machine using NTFS?
  • It is possible that you closed Windows in sleep or hibernation mode, causing a flag to be set on the HDD which makes Linux not want to touch it, and therefore not mount it fully just as a precaution.
  • Second option, the HDD has disk errors also causing Linux not to mount it.

Perhaps you can check the outcome of the following terminal commands, assuming you have a Debian-based Linux computer:
cpp:
sudo blkid | pastebinit
mount | pastebinit
dmesg | pastebinit
Please share the URLs, coming from those commands, here.

P.S.: You may need to install the pastebinit command first on your machine:
sudo apt install pastebinit
I'm sorry, I did not explain the problem very well. The second drive works O.K. I just cannot see it from within Kodi when I try to navigate to it to add the movies.
Likely a permissions or ownership problem. debug log (wiki)
I guess it's neither Wink

What I guess is, that the user searches at the wrong mountpoint Wink

@bluegrill 

please open up a tterminal and install pastebinit: sudo apt install pastebinit. That's needed for the next command and is only a simple little tool to push outputs from the command line to some paste service on the web. So nothing harmful.

then stay at the terminal and get use the output you will get from this command: mount | pastebinit. You will get some URL which you need to post here.

This was requested the 2nd time now. If you don't give us, what we ask for, we can't help.
So when you navigate in Kodi to /media/rick/4T what do you see?
There is no such location that I can find no matter where I navigate.
(2018-02-16, 16:43)bluegrill Wrote: [ -> ]There is no such location that I can find no matter where I navigate.

That's wrong, because the following:

/dev/sdb on /media/rick/4T type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)

clearly states that the 2nd HDD (which is named "sdb") is mounted on "/media/rick/4T"

While using the file manager (for example) you have to do the following steps:

- Open the file manager
- select "add source"
- select "browse" in the next window
- then select "root filesystem"

Then you should be able to see the "media" folder in the list and inside that folder there should be a subfolder called "rick" and inside that subfolder there's another folder which is called "4T" which is your 2nd HDD then.

After you selected the "4T" folder, just hit "ok" and the source to that folder should be added and you should be able to see the files in there while using the file manager.

The same way works if you try to add a video source.
You are right. Thank you. Don't know how I couldn't find that. I thought I looked in every nook and cranny.
Not a problem at all. That's the reason we are here. To help if we can

Maybe that helps you understanding paths in Linux...

The mountpoint hast that path: /media/rick/4T

The first "/" is the so called "root"-folder. It doesn't have any parent anymore. All following folders are children of that folder. Confusing in that regard is, that it doesn't have a written name like "root" or whatever. You simply have to know that this is the root folder. Every folder which cones after that has a real name and a ")" as a separator. So only the first "/" is a folder.

Maybe it helps in a bit
The file menu hierarchy tree in Kodi doesn't resemble the one in the file menu on my Ubuntu computer. The folder called media in Ubuntu is empty and the drive called 4t is in a place by itself not in a folder. It is very confusing to a user with only casual knowledge. Thanks for the help. My area of expertise is music and I know how frustrating it is to try to explain musical concepts to non-musicians.
See:

http://i.imgur.com/3BrNH9i.png

Our help ends if you don't know how to handle your operating system

That screenshot shows a 2nd HDD (sdb1) which is built in my dekstop PC running Ubuntu 16.04. As you can see, the mount point exactly fits the file hierachy in Kodi, in the file browser of Ubuntu and on the terminal. I use the exact same Ubuntu version as you do and I also use the exact same Kodi version as you do Wink

So if something is diifferent on your side, then you need to learn about your OS and how to handle it Wink. Unfortunately that's nothing we can help with.

Please don't take this as an offense!!