Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC LiveUSB (formerly "LiveXBMC") V2 is out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
I'm totally new to Linux. So LiveUSB is very much welcomed. It works great. Thanks.

I’ve read throughout this thread about installing MCE Remote. The question that I have is how to I go about finding the folders and files: /etc/lirc/hardware.conf; /etc/lirc/lircd.conf. I figured it must be in one of the images (.img) files but I couldn’t open all of them with WinImage or find in the ones I was able to open.
Installed this with no problem on a Asus CS5110 and it works like a charm digital audio and everything right from the get go Big Grin Cheers for that from a complete linux newbie. I do have a question though, how would I go about changing the media file font? I need it to be able to display a traditional Chinese font. I have the font I just need to get it into the image I'm guessing? Now to work on the remote... Big Grin And thanks again for you fantastic work.
Cheers
G.Karam....I'm a noob too, but I can help you out...
Go to the command prompt by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 then...Xbmc....password....when you're logged in type:
Quote:sudo apt-get install openssh-server
to enable FTP...then download WinSCP on your other pc, and just type in your IP Address, don't worry about the port. Then you're in your xbmc's file system...cool stuff
Anybody try installing Apple Movie Trailers or any other cool scriptsHuh
It was a no-go for me, errors with "No OS"....
Skeezer, thanks. I will try via FTP as per your tip. But isn't there a way to edit directly the image on the USB Flash Drive (using Windows) so as to already include the .conf files? Either way, the FTP should do the trick. Thanks again.
Hi I am new to linux and I am using Live USB and everything works great. I can even play the "killa sample" without dropping frames.

For some reason though I can't get it to drop to a console window. Every time I ctrl-alt-F* it just hangs. I have tried loading it to my laptop and I have no problem getting a terminal.

I think it might be hardware related but I don't now why it will run xbmc and play media without trouble and not give me a command prompt.

A point in the right direction to help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
treefour
usb keyboard or ps2 keyboard...? not that it should matter but hey..
I need to set up a MCE remote too this looks like it will get me acess without having to mess with the image. also has anyone else tried to ftp ove the latest build?

G.Karam....I'm a noob too, but I can help you out...
Go to the command prompt by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 then...Xbmc....password....when you're logged in type:
Quote:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server

to enable FTP...then download WinSCP on your other pc, and just type in your IP Address, don't worry about the port. Then you're in your xbmc's file system...cool stuff
icekiller Wrote:usb keyboard or ps2 keyboard...? not that it should matter but hey..

it's a usb keyboard
Hello all!

Just posted my messgae in another thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=194...stcount=52

Some (if not all) my questions are about USB version of XBMC. Please take a look. Maybe you will be able to asnwer?

Just don't want to create Copy&Pasted messages on different threads... Thank you!
@NOKIA_LMT: your issues require a basic knowledge of Linux and Ubuntu environment, so that you can refer to the instructions contained in post #128 (and other similar ones).

Luigi
Hey guys,

tried this out this morning. on my amd nforce 4 board 3200+ it boots up finds shares etc. No sound of course. Will playback avi no sweat, it reboots on video_ts folders.

but when I try it on my main machine. wolfedale and asus p5k3 deluxe, it all boots up fine. I cannot select eth0 thus no shares found. if finds eth1 and 2 but no zero. I read of someone else mentioning this but could not find the fix. this is the latest live on 12835 build. That board has of course two nic cards on board but the second is disabled in the bios it finds 1920x1080 video fine on a 8600Gt 512.

Thanks for the cool option it is awesome to boot from the flash. I find that if I boot cold it seems slow to respond to commands but on a reboot it seems faster, also it works great with the gyration MCE remote and dongle from the flash as well.

rgds,

Dave
Hey guys.

Firstly, thanks for this LiveUSB package... working almost perfectly.

Would anyone be good enough to shed some light on this for me...

Under network settings i have options for eth1 and wlan 0 (both of which are disabed), but no eth0 which the first post of this thread says is the one that's enabled.

I'm using an abit i-n73d motherboard (all on-board) which has a nvidia 630i/7100 chipset (nvivia gigabt ethernet port) and from reading this forum it seems others with the same chipset are good to go, what am i missing?

Cheers,

Shorty
ShortySco Wrote:Under network settings i have options for eth1 and wlan 0 (both of which are disabed), but no eth0 which the first post of this thread says is the one that's enabled.

This is more a O/S-question than XBMC since the Network Interface assignment is not used. With "DHCP activated on eth0", he means that the distribution activates the _first network card found on the bus_ and tries to fetch a IP using DHCP on this card. If this fails, there will be no network. I have never used this package, so I'm sure someone will fill in on how to accomplish static settings or activating other interfaces.

Take care.
Thanks gryzor.

While you are right, this is not strictly relevant to xbmc, it's semi-relevant to this thread and i've fixed it, thanks to reading your post, so cheers Smile

Now i'll share my findings to hopefully help anyone with a similar problem, ethernet not working.

This is how i see it, linux takes all your network devices and numbers them on the first boot, in my case wlan was assigned to eth0 and my onboard lan port to eth1... as we know from the first post in this thread, only eth0 will work correctly.

Because my eth0 was wireless and my wlan is not well supported in linux i had no chance, and wanted to use wired anyway, even unplugging the wireless and restarting didnt help.

So to sum up, device numbers are assigned on first boot and will not automatically change thereafter..... so.... unplug/disable all ethernet devices apart from the one you want to use BEFORE booting LiveUSB for the first time.

Shorty

(Disclaimer: Linux newb, could be totally off the mark)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16