Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: new kodi18 installation attempt: unmet dependencies kodi-x11
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Freaked out with this news:
https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-v18-leia-story-so-far
I wanted to install newest Kodi v18 Leia on my Ubuntu 17.10 server: Linux (x86_64) 4.13.0-32.
I removed Kodi 17.6 from my system and added 'team-xbmc-ubuntu-xbmc-nightly-artful.list' to my apt list.
But when I try to install kodi I receive:
Code:
ela@akacja:~$ sudo apt-get install kodi kodi-bin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kodi : Depends: kodi-x11 (< 2:18.0+git20180216.0201-468ce1b-0artful.1~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

How could I fix this?
I use xorg xserver-xorg on my ubuntu server. Should I install Wayland somehow?
I will be grateful for any tips.
TIA
the kodi-bin package has been renamed to kodi-x11, so you need that one instead.
If you are using wayland, you want kodi-wayland as well
Thanks,
Nighty, testing Kodi 18 works great on my ubuntu server 17.10 with intel apollo lake and  kodi-x11
I observe clear video playback quality improvement comparing to Kodi 17.6.

I suspect that could be even better if I switched to a new  wayland graphic environment. Now I use on my ubuntu server lightweight LXDE as a X Window System. How could I switched to wayland? What packets should I install?
Regards,
B
No. kodi-x11 running on X11 is still the platform with the most maintained features. kodi-wayland works great, but there are things that don't work by wayland design: one is refreshrate switching.
Hi,
So I'll wait for wayland.
One more question. Sometime I see that video playback on my  LXDE Ubuntu server - 17.10  is not perfect smooth (the same was on Kodi 17.6).
Could  I expect improvement of playback video quality if I  would switched to Gnome or Unity desktop environment?
Regards, B
No - definitely not. Both use compositing which will harm kodi's syncing heavily. Better post a Debug Log where one can see what happens.
(2018-02-18, 17:13)bernid Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks,
Nighty, testing Kodi 18 works great on my ubuntu server 17.10 with intel apollo lake and  kodi-x11
I observe clear video playback quality improvement comparing to Kodi 17.6.

I suspect that could be even better if I switched to a new  wayland graphic environment. Now I use on my ubuntu server lightweight LXDE as a X Window System. How could I switched to wayland? What packets should I install?
Regards,
B

Which version of intel apollo lake?
(2018-02-19, 12:13)Rumpelstiltskin Wrote: [ -> ]Which version of intel apollo lake? 
See the last row:

Code:
NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 500 (Broxton 2x6)
NOTICE: GL_VERSION = 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 17.2.8
NOTICE: Starting Kodi (18.0-ALPHA1 Git:20121104-0b52591). Platform: Linux x86 64-bit
NOTICE: Using Release Kodi x64 build
NOTICE: Kodi compiled Nov  4 2012 by GCC 7.2.0 for Linux x86 64-bit version 4.13.13 (265485)
NOTICE: Running on Ubuntu 17.10, kernel: Linux x86 64-bit version 4.13.0-32-generic
NOTICE: FFmpeg version/source: 3.4.1-Kodi
NOTICE: Host CPU: Intel® Celeron® CPU J3455 @ 1.50GHz, 4 cores available
Hi,
I have issue with AC3 passthrough sound.
I connected new USB card 'CM6631A V 1.3 USB to I2S / SPDIF'   
and set it as Digital stereo  Output (S/PDIF) in my Ubuntu server 17.10.
Kodi audio settings:
Channels: 2.0
Passthrough: Enabled
Ac3: Enabled
Dolby Transcode: Enabled

See my Kodi log:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/s7WYJWVXPG/

Unfortunately I can't enable AC3 or DTS 5.1 sound from my AC3 5.1 receiver. Even if it is AC3 5.1 content I hear stereo sound from my AC3/DTS 5.1 receiver or nothing. Maybe I should try other settings? Please advise.
Regards,
B
See: https://kodi.wiki/view/PulseAudio - configure it accordingly.

And your real issue:
Quote:19:38:04.337 T:140193629726464   DEBUG: CVideoSyncDRM::Setup - setting up DRM
19:38:04.338 T:140193629726464   DEBUG: CVideoReferenceClock: Detected refreshrate: 24.000 hertz

^^ With Sync Playback to Display (see its description) passthrough is disabled. If you want both "Sync to display" and AC3 audio, set speaker channels to 2.0 (!) and enable Dolby Transcoding and AC3.
Thanks!
5.1 AC3 content and transcoding to 5.1 AC3 works now :-)

Two additional issues I encountered:

1. DTS passtrough:
Despite I select DTS passtrough (in Kodi and Pavucontrol settings) Kodi transcode DTS 5.1 content to DolbyDigital 5.1. Ofcource my AVR is 'DTS capable receiver'
see logs:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/gZfhT68v4p/
Maybe I missed something in the configuration?

2. No video after boot with delayed TV set/monitor turned on
If my Ubuntu starts first (without tv set switched on) then (when I switch tv set after boot) there is no video signal.
It seems like Ubuntu detect video output only during the boot and connecting (turning on) tv set or monitor after boot process didin't work in my system.
Is it there any way to set video output as hotplug or fix output resolution and refresh rate?
Regards,
B
ad 1.) if transcoding is needed it will be AC3. Try playing something with native DTS.
ad 2.) if your display is off during boot, the X-server cannot read it's EDID and therefore doesn't know which resolutions and refresh rates it supports, which results in black screen. You can override your EDID via drm.kms_helper
Thanks,
Quote:ad 1.) if transcoding is needed it will be AC3. Try playing something with native DTS.

Maybe the log (which link I pasted) shows what strange is with DTS. I tried play two movies (the first and the last one in the log) with single DTS audio stream. In both cases my AVR showed me DD audio playback instead of DTS so I assume that audio stream has been transcoded from DTS to AC3.
During the test I had switched on the fallowing audio option in my Kodi:
  • Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver
  • Enabled Dolby Digital transcoding
  • DTS capable receiver
I assumed that DTS should be played natively (AVR show me DTS) without transcoding to AC3.
Regards, B
No - wrong assumption. In combination with "Sync Playback to Display" _everything_ is transcoded to sync to the display. Please check the description of "Sync Playback to Display".
Edit
Pages: 1 2