Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: CEC with Pulse-Eight USB Adaptor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hiya, and thanks in advance for any help.

I've been running Kodi on a Raspberry Pi with CEC successfully (read: with all CEC type commands working well through the TV remote) for a few years now. I have to update my hardware to a laptop, so bought a USB CEC adaptor from Pulse-Eight. I've tried everything I can think of to get it working, but need some help Smile

Kodi Version: 17.6 from the office PPA: ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
CEC Hardware: Pulse-Eight USB CEC adaptor
CEC Software: libcec4

Using cec-client, I can see events from the TV, and can send events to the TV such as shutdown, which works fine. However, I can't get CEC working with Kodi. At every boot, I get the error "Couldn't initialise CEC adaptor".

I've tried changing the HDMI port used for CEC in the Kodi settings, to every available port on the TV (even though I know it's port 2), and even tried configuring a hardware port.
Tried plugging it into the Raspberry Pi, and it does the same thing there too, ("couldn't initialise" message). Once the signal's been passed through to the Raspberry Pi's HDMI though, CEC is working.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file.

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like pastebin.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Thanks, the debug logs helped. Turns out it was a permission problem. Adding the user running Kodi to the dialout group fixed it.