Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TV Shows on DVD (.nfo issue?) Cannot get them to show in TV Shows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Almost newbie here.

My scenario:  All my DVDs (Movies & TV shows) were mixed up in folders on my server.  I thought that I would be able to separate the TV Show DVDs into their own folders and use KODI's 'TV Shows' to access them, just like I do the movies in 'Movies' (local scraper as I use mymovies as the movies database, and creating .nfo's is turned on in mymovies)

The TV shows I've recorded show up in 'TV shows' just fine, but the DVDs do not show at all.   I've gone through and configured my TV Show folders in libraries just like I did the TV shows I've recorded.

If I take the TV show DVD and put them into the library as movies, they work just fine in 'Movies', but not matter what I do to configure things, they don't show in 'TV Shows' 

I've searched the wikis and the forums, and can't come up with an answer other than reading that I need to have a separate .nfo for each episode, I'm stuck.  (and MyMovies creates a single .nfo per disk, even for TV shows on DVD), not sure if I've got the right info or if I'm understanding it correctly from the KODI wikis/forums.

Someone else has got to have tried to do what I am trying before me - any pointers to the right info to get this working, or am I trying to use KODI wrong?
Thanks

If I've missed the answer somewhere, I apologize.
Hello @Bobstr

Sounds like a bit of a mess there. I imagine you have a number of issues- naming, folder structure, incorrect nfo's.

Have a read of the Library set up guide and you might spot what is going wrong... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library

Can't offer you much else as you haven't provided a debug log, screenshots, folder layout, show names, naming structure. So I'll let you hunt them down in the guide.
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I've read the wiki pages for how to create a video library, and that didn't clear up the questions.

It's not as much a mess as it may seem.  Let me try again.

I rip my purchased DVDs (movies and TV shows) to my home server.  I also record  via the HD Homerun PVR/DVR software (used to use Windows Media Center for this), so I have tons of recordings from PVR/DVR and ripped DVDs (in both the .ts folder format for older rips and .iso format for newer rips).  I also use mymovies as my backend database for all the DVDs and recorded TV, and the mymovies setting for KODI/create .nfo files is turned on.  Everything works correctly when I put the ripped DVDs for movies and DVDs into the 'movies' library.  Mymovies creates one .nfo file per disk and it's doing that without a problem.

To better organize my 1000+ DVDs and 100+ DVR recordings, I want to separate the TV shows from the movies and put all TV Shows (DVD sourced or recorded via DVR/PVR) into the 'TV Shows' library to make finding and viewing easier.  I am not able to make this work correctly.  I cannot get DVD sourced TV shows to show up *at all* in the TV Shows once I change the library settings to 'TV Show' for the two folders I have all my TV shows in. 

I assumed that changing the setting from 'Movies' to 'TV Shows' and choosing either local information or the one TV Database default choice would allow them to show up correctly.  Also that they would then show up in TV Shows.  They do not appear there or anywhere.

Reading the link you gave me mentioned having to have a .nfo file for each episode, which I guess I understand if the data is in the .ts folder format, but the wiki doesn't speak to the .iso format for TV shows that reside on DVDs.  Remember that the .nfo files are working correctly for movies and for TV Shows on DVD *only* when I define in the library that the folders they are containing movies in the library.  

As I mentioned, I am an 'almost' newbie - so I'm trying to learn if I'm just not doing something the way that KODI expects to see it, or if I've actually run into an actual problem.  There's no screen shot to show you anything other than 'here's my list of recorded TV shows that doesn't show any TV Show DVDs at all'.  I wouldn't know what debug log to provide, or if that would add any value, as I don't know if it's an actual problem with KODI, my lack of knowledge of how to make KODI work correctly for that I'm trying to do, or if KODI can actually do what I'm asking of it (the documentation is great in some places, out of date or unclear or even absent in others).

I follow KODI's guide to get the folders into the library
For recorded shows it's Show name\season#\name of episode_Season#_episode# (show\eposodename_S#_E#) sometimes the channel it was recorded on and the date/time is added to the end of the file name.
For .iso files, it's show name\the name of the disk it came from
for .ts folder format: Showname_disk# from the set\the rest is standard .ts layout

I'm asking for knowledge from anyone who's done this before.
1) What is the right way to have TV Show DVDs ripped to the .ts format show up under TV Shows in KODI?  I can't find anything other than 'create a seperate .nfo file for each episode when using the .ts format)
2) What is the right way to have TV Show DVDs that are ripped to .iso format show up under TV shows in KODI?  I can find zero documentation on this.
3) if KODI's design doesn't allow me to have TV Show DVDs in .iso format and show up in TV shows, then what are some thoughts for other options may exist to allow me to easily separate TV shows from Movies?  If there's already documentation for the alternate ideas, please just point me to that.
(2018-03-04, 23:21)Bobstr Wrote: [ -> ]I want to separate the TV shows from the movies and put all TV Shows (DVD sourced or recorded via DVR/PVR) into the 'TV Shows' library to make finding and viewing easier
Sounds like you have not been using the Library feature. Instead you have opted to access your media via the File Browser mode in Videos>Files. Now you are trying to create your library, and it is not working. Is this correct?

(2018-03-04, 04:20)Bobstr Wrote: [ -> ]If I take the TV show DVD and put them into the library as movies, they work just fine in 'Movies', but not matter what I do to configure things, they don't show in 'TV Shows' 
In your first post, the above statement completely confused me. How can you put a TV Show in Movies? But I guess if you are using the simple File Browser, that would work but it would not work in Library mode.

(2018-03-04, 23:21)Bobstr Wrote: [ -> ]1) What is the right way to have TV Show DVDs ripped to the .ts format show up under TV Shows in KODI?  I can't find anything other than 'create a seperate .nfo file for each episode when using the .ts format)
There is no special procedure if you are using .ts files. But are you using the DVD Folder structure, or are you just using an individual .ts file. See the image in this section for naming example... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_file...how_Folder

(2018-03-04, 23:21)Bobstr Wrote: [ -> ]2) What is the right way to have TV Show DVDs that are ripped to .iso format show up under TV shows in KODI?  I can find zero documentation on this.
Same as for a normal nfo. If your iso file has, say, 4 episodes, then you would name your ISO File and NFO File in accordance with this... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_file...i-Episodes
Now this is the correct way to name if you were scraping online, so you should continue this convention even if you are using NFO Files.

(2018-03-04, 23:21)Bobstr Wrote: [ -> ]3) if KODI's design doesn't allow me to have TV Show DVDs in .iso format and show up in TV shows, then what are some thoughts for other options may exist to allow me to easily separate TV shows from Movies?  If there's already documentation for the alternate ideas, please just point me to that.
See previous answer.

Let's start off with you providing the following...

1. The folder structure and file names for one of your TV Shows. Similar to what you showed in the second last paragraph, but this time usual the actual names, not examples.
2. A Debug log (wiki) created as follows...

1. Enable Debugging mode. Go to Settings>System Settings>Logging and it should be the first option
  2. Restart Kodi
  3. Replicate the problem. Run an Update Library
  4. Upload the results to https://pastebin.com/ or https://paste.ubuntu.com/ and link back here.
Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
ISO and Folder Structures

This is how my videos are laid out for TV Shows.  Either in an ISO (generally Blu Ray) or DVD Folder (DVDs).  They have both *.nfo and *.xml files created by MyMovies.

How do I get them to show up in Kodi.  Totally baffled!!!!
Sorry - here's the ISO image...

ISO Structure
Hello @TopDownDriver

Thanks for the image. It explains a lot. Unfortunately your setup does not abide by the requirements for tv show scraping.

Have a read through the setup guide for TV Shows which should quickly reveal the problem... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/TV_shows