Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SMB/Samba File Sharing Discussion (SMB support now available)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2018-05-15, 08:30)vile80r Wrote: [ -> ]UPDATE- Finally got it to work but it was just way more involved than it should be. When you click on Add Source in File Manager then Windows Network, it should populate a list of networked computers like it does in Kodi for Windows and Android. Hopefully future updates will make that more streamlined.
It shouldn't show your network neighbors, it's possible only with SMBv1, Kodi-UWP doesn't support SMBv1. You have to enter host name/IP address and a share name manually. perhaps in a future libsmb2 will support listing host's shares, but currently it doesn't.

(2018-05-15, 08:30)vile80r Wrote: [ -> ]I did a hard reset on the console and started Kodi again and like before, the audio was missing. 

Do you have Preview build installed?
(2018-04-02, 05:41)Blizzysip Wrote: [ -> ]Dumb question... But how do I enable my account to receive test builds to get this on Xbox one?
 Same thing here how does one do this and secondly I have enabled SMB supports  in the addons yet when adding a remote location I dont see the option to add SMB ?
So, here is my experience with this:
I am trying to use Kodi on an XBox One, I've used it on other platforms, including XBMC on an original XBox, so I've got a decent idea of how it works.
I installed Kodi today from the Store and noticed that SMB is not included.
I found this thread and read through it. The version I am runing is 18.0 Alpha2.
I registered for the Test version by filling out the Google Form.
Just a few minutes later, I found that the SMB add-on was available, so I Enabled it.
I tried creating the SMB share by using the Windows share name and also the IP address, but when I try to connect, I get the "Couldn't connect to network server" error.

Do I have to wait until I receive a message from the list? If so, what do I do then? If not, any odeas of what I should try?
You have to define full credentials i.e. login and password or enable Guest account on a server.
(2018-05-21, 20:41)afedchin Wrote: [ -> ]You have to define full credentials i.e. login and password or enable Guest account on a server.
 Yes, I forgot to mention that I tried filling in the username and password fields, but received the same error message.
(2018-05-21, 21:16)PRA4SNW Wrote: [ -> ]but received the same error message.

Are you sure that your server supports SMBv2/3? Also in some cases the message can appear but it a share works actually.
I'm not sure. It is a Buffalo Linkstation NAS. It's nothing fancy, so maybe not.
I will research it
(2018-05-21, 02:28)PRA4SNW Wrote: [ -> ]So, here is my experience with this:
I am trying to use Kodi on an XBox One, I've used it on other platforms, including XBMC on an original XBox, so I've got a decent idea of how it works.
I found this thread and read through it. The version I am runing is 18.0 Alpha2.
Just a few minutes later, I found that the SMB add-on was available, so I Enabled it.
I tried creating the SMB share by using the Windows share name and also the IP address, but when I try to connect, I get the "Couldn't connect to network server" error.

Do I have to wait until I receive a message from the list? If so, what do I do then? If not, any odeas of what I should try?
Make sure you're also inputting the folder you're accessing. That was what screwed me over for a few hours yesterday trying to set up my library (tried UPNP, NFS, and SMB and could only get SMB working). For me, I have 4 folders named "Videos" that are shared from my PC and I had to go in and add each one as a different network location. So my setup essentialy was:
Network Address: IP Address
Server Folder: Videos[1-4]
User: Windows username
Pass: Windows password

Without having the folder set, it was failing every time because it wasn't able to just connect to the IP Address and then see the 4 Videos folders.
(2018-05-22, 14:35)LukeS77 Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure you're also inputting the folder you're accessing.

of course you have to input share name. because:
1) currently the add-on doesn't support browsing shares on a host, it requires SMB-RPC implementation.
2) each share have its own access list. i.e. each share may require different credentials to access.
(2018-05-22, 15:21)afedchin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-22, 14:35)LukeS77 Wrote: [ -> ]Make sure you're also inputting the folder you're accessing.

of course you have to input share name. because:
1) currently the add-on doesn't support browsing shares on a host, it requires SMB-RPC implementation.
2) each share have its own access list. i.e. each share may require different credentials to access. 
And I wasn't able to find any information on that anywhere. The same setup was able to be detected and used with VLC on both the Xbox One and iOS and Kodi on another PC as a single share with one configuration, so that's what I had been accustomed to.
(2018-05-22, 15:53)LukeS77 Wrote: [ -> ]The same setup was able to be detected and used with VLC on both the Xbox One and iOS and Kodi on another PC as a single share with one configuration, so that's what I had been accustomed to.

VLC uses SMBv1, which allows browsing network.
(2018-05-22, 14:35)LukeS77 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-21, 02:28)PRA4SNW Wrote: [ -> ]So, here is my experience with this:

Make sure you're also inputting the folder you're accessing. That was what screwed me over for a few hours yesterday trying to set up my library (tried UPNP, NFS, and SMB and could only get SMB working). For me, I have 4 folders named "Videos" that are shared from my PC and I had to go in and add each one as a different network location. So my setup essentialy was:
Network Address: IP Address
Server Folder: Videos[1-4]
User: Windows username
Pass: Windows password

Without having the folder set, it was failing every time because it wasn't able to just connect to the IP Address and then see the 4 Videos folders. 
That would be a lot of work for me. My videos are in many folders, and my music is separated into folders by artist / album. Especially on an XBox One using a controller. 
I've always loved using XBMC / Kodi for all of the extra functionality, not just a media player. But maybe I'll have to give VLC a go if I can't get the Linkstation to work with SMB.
(2018-05-21, 22:47)afedchin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-05-21, 21:16)PRA4SNW Wrote: [ -> ]but received the same error message.

Are you sure that your server supports SMBv2/3? Also in some cases the message can appear but it a share works actually. 
That's the issue - the Buffalo Linkstation does not support SMBv2, even with the latest firmware installed. It's an old unit, so time to upgrade to something better with RAID anyway. Maybe I'll use VLC for now, until I get something that supports SMBv2.
At least you all get an error... kodi locks up each time i try to connect to a w10 pc share...
Great stuff, SSH is working flawlessly and nice and secure too Im past the testing stage and running Kodi on Xbox as 2 of my clients now - very impressive but the SMB will be handy for the young one as he's a windows 10 nut - i cant seem to tear him away from the dark side as we all know the force is strongest on the *NIX side! 

Im sure its just because windows 10 has an XBox app woopeedoo Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8