Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Show channel info setting delays channel switching
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is propably not specfic to VNSI/VDR, but as it occurs only in Live TV and since there is no general PVR section I thought I might tryi my luck here. Please move this thread to different section if appropriate.

I also tested this with two different skins (Confluence and Estuary) to make sure it is not a single skin issue.

What I observe is that when I set 'Show channel info when switching channels' in PVR settings to anything > 0 secs  it seems to (significantly) delay channel switching; sometimes up to several seconds. This seems due to the previously reported fact that the channel info is initially displayed with an empty text and then populated with the actual channel info which also delays appearing of the Live TV stream.

Furthermore, while the info box appears for the set amount of time, the actual info appears for much less time due to the delay, making it sometimes unreadable in the remaining seconds.

I've now set 'Show channel info' to 'off' and channel switching is acceptably fast. Not sure if the appearance of the info text can be accelerated, however, I think it is not meant to delay bringing up the live tv stream.

If I remember correctly from previous releases, e.g. Kodi 17, the correct channel info was displayed instantly and zapping was without delay. Looks like it is handled differently in Kodi 18.
(2018-03-05, 03:30)Spirou Wrote: [ -> ]This is propably not specfic to VNSI/VDR, but as it occurs only in Live TV and since there is no general PVR section I thought I might tryi my luck here. Please move this thread to different section if appropriate.

I also tested this with two different skins (Confluence and Estuary) to make sure it is not a single skin issue.

What I observe is that when I set 'Show channel info when switching channels' in PVR settings to anything > 0 secs  it seems to (significantly) delay channel switching; sometimes up to several seconds. This seems due to the previously reported fact that the channel info is initially displayed with an empty text and then populated with the actual channel info which also delays appearing of the Live TV stream.

Furthermore, while the info box appears for the set amount of time, the actual info appears for much less time due to the delay, making it sometimes unreadable in the remaining seconds.

I've now set 'Show channel info' to 'off' and channel switching is acceptably fast. Not sure if the appearance of the info text can be accelerated, however, I think it is not meant to delay bringing up the live tv stream.

If I remember correctly from previous releases, e.g. Kodi 17, the correct channel info was displayed instantly and zapping was without delay. Looks like it is handled differently in Kodi 18.

No delay here, info appears immediately. Cannot see any influence on channel switch time. So no general issue, but something related to your setup.
Well, okay. Maybe you can help me spot the difference.

I running Kodi 18 alpha on top of a recent and up-to-date Ubuntu 16.04.03 64 Bit (Desktop). Besides that I have only vdr 2.3.8 running as PVR Backend on the same machine. Platform is an intel i3 6th gen. and storage is a Samsung 128GB SSD.
I get EPG data directly from DVB-S2 stream. Tuner card is a Cine-S2 v6.5.
I think this is a pretty common setup without any extra rubbish.

With your insight in how EPG data is handled inside Kodi can you please provide some guidance on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Update:
I could verify the behavior on one of my Raspberry Pi boxes which is running a recent Milhouse build (0227) and accesss the main (i3) system as PVR backend. I can see that there is also a short interval at which no info text is displayed (or rather the text 'no infomration available') before showing the correct info and the live stream. Although the delay is not as 'severe' as on my main system it is yet notable.

If I understood what process is responsible for providing the EPG data to populate the info text I would perhaps be able to investigate further into what is causing the extended delay on my main system.

BTW: The milhouse build still has the issue of the info box auto-closing after approximately 5 secs when it is called by pressing the 'info' key while watching live tv.
(2018-03-05, 12:09)Spirou Wrote: [ -> ]Well, okay. Maybe you can help me spot the difference.

I running Kodi 18 alpha on top of a recent and up-to-date Ubuntu 16.04.03 64 Bit (Desktop). Besides that I have only vdr 2.3.8 running as PVR Backend on the same machine. Platform is an intel i3 6th gen. and storage is a Samsung 128GB SSD.
I get EPG data directly from DVB-S2 stream. Tuner card is a Cine-S2 v6.5.
I think this is a pretty common setup without any extra rubbish.

With your insight in how EPG data is handled inside Kodi can you please provide some guidance on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Update:
I could verify the behavior on one of my Raspberry Pi boxes which is running a recent Milhouse build (0227) and accesss the main (i3) system as PVR backend. I can see that there is also a short interval at which no info text is displayed (or rather the text 'no infomration available') before showing the correct info and the live stream. Although the delay is not as 'severe' as on my main system it is yet notable.

If I understood what process is responsible for providing the EPG data to populate the info text I would perhaps be able to investigate further into what is causing the extended delay on my main system.

BTW: The milhouse build still has the issue of the info box auto-closing after approximately 5 secs when it is called by pressing the 'info' key while watching live tv.
 I use several systems, for production and testing. tvheadend in the backend, running on LibreELEC, both Raspi and x86_64. Kodi running on macOS, Ubuntu 17.10, LibreELEC Raspi and x86_64. None of the systems suffers from the info display delay you encounter.

@FernetMenta maybe we have a problem with async onplaybackstarted, because the playing fileitem being set very late in some scenarios? As long as the currentitem is not set, guiinfomanager will not display any information. ;-)
(2018-03-05, 17:11)ksooo Wrote: [ -> ]@FernetMenta maybe we have a problem with async onplaybackstarted, because the playing fileitem being set very late in some scenarios? As long as the currentitem is not set, guiinfomanager will not display any information. ;-) 
 I this something that is worthwhile looking into? Seems in fact the main difference between the two setups is my using of vdr/vnsi instead of tvheadend.
We spotted the issue. Will be fixed soon
fixed in master
Thanks for fixing it Smile Smile Smile I downloaded the latest kodi 18 alpha code last night for testing. The channel info is now displayed instantly and I don't notice a delay any more. From my point of view the user experience has very much improved with this fix. Smile

What I still see: While the info box is populated immediately with the correct channel info when zapping through the channels, it is emptied ("no info available") for a fraction of a second and the re-populated with the channel info just before the streaming starts. It does not really affect my user experience but I was wondering why this still happens. Something still seems to reset the channel info before the actual streaming starts. But no complaints ... just noting.