Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why does MPV look so much better than Kodi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,
I'm having trouble trying to figure out why the color and contrast looks so much better on MPV than it does on Kodi. 

Image Image

The colors seem to 'pop' more on the right (MPV) than Kodi. Kodi seems washed out and greyish. I have hardware acceleration turned on (VDPAU) for both. I'm not sure of where to start looking since both programs use ffmpeg under the hood. My config for MPV is just 'hwdec=vdpau' and Kodi has the HW accelerations turned on. I'm hoping someone ran into this before or knows what it looks like as I can't find other examples searching through google and these forums.
Does it help if you toggle to use "Use Limited" Range? For further testing I suggest trying with v18 which has proper computation in the GL path.
What is MPV?
(2018-03-09, 18:21)Plantje Wrote: [ -> ]What is MPV?
 See: http://bfy.tw/PwN
It might simply be the exposure in your two photos, but in the left picture, I see more details on the screen than in the right picture. For example, in the right picture, the girl's eye is lost in blackness, while in the left one you can see quite a lot of her face. Not sure which is right, but it might actually be that the left one is showing a wider range of colour and brightness. That does mean that contrast seems higher in the right picture, simply because there is more black and less gradations of brightness. Although that's just guesswork based on the photos; you see things in real life. Smile
Something is different about the photos, look at the brick wall behind the TV.
Agreed photos aren't taken with like for like camera settings as the bricks are also brighter in colour.
(2018-03-09, 18:31)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-09, 18:21)Plantje Wrote: [ -> ]What is MPV?
 See: http://bfy.tw/PwN   
Thanks for being so funny. In future if you try to be funny: check the result of that lmgtfy action as well. I get a long list of "multi purpose vehicles"... I am pretty sure the topic starter doesn't refer to that.

On topic: so, MPV is just another player running on the same machine, right? If it was a different machine I had a similar experience with my Philips TV where Kodi also seemed somewhat washed out. Then I noticed the TV was set to "pc mode". That is nice if you run stuff like Edge, Windows Explorer etc, but Kodi looks much better ever since I have set the "PC mode" on the TV off.
I guess your KODI instance is running in the pc mode. As fritsch suggested, please check if „Use Limited“ range helps (Settings/System).
And indeed... the colours of the bricks in the background look more washed out in the first picture as well.
Anyway….in the end we're having a nice discussion on a topic of someone who has done one post and one post only...