Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: IR Remotes and Updates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've used kodi for many years, starting out with an actual Xbox1. When i initially migrated to PC, i retained the Xbox1 IR eye and remote, as i had it and it did everything i needed. Kept everything familiar for other family users too.

Some years later I bought a nice AVR which has a multi-device remote, and that remote can emulate the Xbox1 DVD remote, so now i have one remote to control all my kit. This is super convenient. I select the PC input on the remote, the AVR switches to the PC input, and the remote switches to emulate the Xbox functions.

However the Xbox1 IR eye seems for whatever reason to be unsupported in the normal linux/lirc builds. This means it needs various patches and messing around every time i update the OS. As time goes on, these patches are getting more and more complex, the patch hasnt been updated in eons and no longer builds cleanly against newer kernels. I've managed to limp it along, and its currently running fine against kernel 4.8.

But it leaves a dilemma. I want an updated system running the latest bugfixes etc, but at the same time i hate touching it because any time i do update it, it ends up broken and i have to spend ages fixing the remote.

So i'd like some advice. I want a replacement for the Xbox1 Eye, which Just Works. The default approach seems to be the "MCE" Remotes, but whatever i buy needs to be able to work with the existing AVR remote, rather than being forced to use a supplied unit. 

Anyone have any recommendations?
A lot of HTPCs, like the NUCs, have an universal IR receiver built in. Some mainboards have IR functionality built in (usually in multifunction IO chips) and just need an IR receiver diode hooked up to some connector on the mainboard.

Just search the docs or BIOS settings for "CIR" (Consumer IR) functionality - sometimes this is disabled in the BIOS any you have to manually enable it.

By default Linux configures these IR receivers to work with MCE remotes but you can use ir-keytable (or run lircd, like you are probably doing now) to use other remotes as well.

so long,

Hias
Maybe a Flirc would solve your problem. This USB device can be teached remote signals which are translated into keyboard commands. These commands are stored on the Flirc device itself, it is seen as a keyboard (HID) on the HTPC so you dont need special software on the HTPC.
Yeh i looked at FLIRC in the past, i just didnt like the fact that it was another layer of stuff to configure.

I guess though it only needs setup once.

If linux treats the IR receivers as generic devices then perhaps i can simply buy an MCE remote, and use the hopefully properly supported receiver with my existing remote config?

I'm sure i looked into this a while ago and there was some incompatibility with doing that but i cant actually remember as its been a long time. I also remember buying an MCE remote, and finding it didnt work when the Plasma TV was on. The TV seemed to emit some sort of signal which blocked the IR

I guess i'll see if i can find a cheap MCE reciever and if not, then i'll look at FLIRC instead.
Well FLIRC was only 22 quid, so i just bought one!

Just need to see about setting it up now Smile
If you still want to use the XBOX DVD kit remote/receive you can configure ubuntu to automatically rebuild the kernel module and install it when it updates.

You can get the script needed from my git repo here.

Cheers
(2018-03-12, 11:25)aragorn Wrote: [ -> ]However the Xbox1 IR eye seems for whatever reason to be unsupported in the normal linux/lirc builds.
 I switched from lirc to ir-keytable some years ago. Try if you can get it running this way.

Some hints:
https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic...=45&t=8457