Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Faster Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2018-03-26, 11:43)Vimes Wrote: [ -> ]Would I be right in assuming that the case doesn't allow you to see the LED's on the Pi3 or the newer + model...?
The "gen 2" case has addressed all the problems of the first case when using Pi3 (and now Pi3+): LEDs visible, SD Card accessible, 100% SOC coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1m36s&v=E4YuteuSEuA
(2018-03-21, 21:33)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-21, 19:43)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-21, 10:45)Vimes Wrote: [ -> ]For those who have the new 3+ Pi and one of the Flirc cases does it fit ok with the older thermal pad being a little thicker than desirable.?

I had no issues installing a Pi3+ into a FLIRC gen1 case with the thicker thermal pad. Mind you, I had been using it with a Pi3 so the pad was a little squashed already. I just went easy on the screws when putting the case back together and didn't over-tighten them.

This original FLIRC case that I have also isn't optimal for the Pi3/Pi3+ as the heatsink lug isn't entirely centred over the SOC - the original case is designed for the Pi2 and the Pi2 SOC is in a slightly different position to the Pi3, but the latest "gen 2" FLIRC case now fully covers the Pi3 SOC (and presumably Pi3+) so case temps might be even better than what I observed.  
I recently had to buy a tube of thermal paste to reseat the heat sink on an Intel Atom.  Would that be an alternative to the thermal pad? 
I have read that someone else just used thermal paste and it worked a treat.

Good luck.
(2018-03-26, 12:09)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-26, 11:43)Vimes Wrote: [ -> ]Would I be right in assuming that the case doesn't allow you to see the LED's on the Pi3 or the newer + model...?
The "gen 2" case has addressed all the problems of the first case when using Pi3 (and now Pi3+): LEDs visible, SD Card accessible, 100% SOC coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1m36s&v=E4YuteuSEuA 
Many thanks Smile

I had read lots of blurb and still doing so but simply could not find that.

I have ordered the case....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00Q...UTF8&psc=1

I now know it is a Gen 2 due to its looks.

I have also ordered the Pi3+ and they will both be with me tomorrow.

Again thanks for being prompt with your reply.

Hopefully it will not be as toasty as the Pi 3 was when using Kodi, especially with 720p HEVC material or just when summer arrives, hopefully it will this year...!
(2018-03-26, 12:09)Vimes Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-21, 21:33)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-03-21, 19:43)Milhouse Wrote: [ -> ]I had no issues installing a Pi3+ into a FLIRC gen1 case with the thicker thermal pad. Mind you, I had been using it with a Pi3 so the pad was a little squashed already. I just went easy on the screws when putting the case back together and didn't over-tighten them.

This original FLIRC case that I have also isn't optimal for the Pi3/Pi3+ as the heatsink lug isn't entirely centred over the SOC - the original case is designed for the Pi2 and the Pi2 SOC is in a slightly different position to the Pi3, but the latest "gen 2" FLIRC case now fully covers the Pi3 SOC (and presumably Pi3+) so case temps might be even better than what I observed.  
I recently had to buy a tube of thermal paste to reseat the heat sink on an Intel Atom.  Would that be an alternative to the thermal pad?  
I have read that someone else just used thermal paste and it worked a treat.

Good luck. 
 Yeah.  Someone on Reddit said that they used Arctic Silver and it worked a treat.
After two weeks in Florida I have finally managed to get my RPI3+.  I used a Rev 3 FLIRC case (apparantly the Rev 4 will ship with a 0.4mm thermal pad) and a drop of Arctic Silver on the CPU and watching a 1080p H264 video I am getting 37C.  I had to remove the insulators from the GPIO leads for my ambilight and reinsulate them with heatshrink sleeving to get them to fit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5